Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to tell if I fried my RAMPS or a driver?

Posted by RDM6 
How to tell if I fried my RAMPS or a driver?
November 01, 2014 05:53PM
Hi everyone,

I screwed up. I dropped a small metallic heat sink on a running RAMPS 1.4 board with DRV8825s and I think I shorted and/ or fried something. It was connected to my computer at the time and I immediately heard the disconnect sound. However, I am still measuring current through the drivers with my multimeter so maybe those are still good? Its possible it may have touched 2 drivers at once, but definitely touched at least one. I replaced that driver (even though it did not smell like smoke and looked fine) but it still won't connect. It does make the connection sound when I plug it into my computer but I think that is just acknowledging the arduino. I won't connect thru repetier at all and I had no issues before.

Is there a way I can use my multimeter to check and see if the RAMPS board is still good, or did I kill it entirely? The drivers still have current going through them so is that enough to assure that they are still good? Thanks for any help!
Re: How to tell if I fried my RAMPS or a driver?
November 01, 2014 06:11PM
Remove all drivers and connections from ramps and re-upload your firmware, if successful connect thermistor to T0 and try to connect to repetier-host.

Prusa I3 kits www.schufco.com
November 01, 2014 09:17PM
So I did take the stuff and drivers off it and it will upload the firmware fine when it is connected only to 5V USB power but it won't connect or upload when the 12V power is on. Still can't connect in repetier with 12V power on. Not a good sign but what do you think this means? Any other ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 09:20PM by RDM6.
November 02, 2014 01:13AM
Sounds like you fried the regulator on the Arduino Mega.

Basically it sounds like you shorted the 5V line to the Ground, and the regulator on the Mega overloaded and died.

With power off, take off the RAMPS board and look at the small chip between the USB socket and the barrel socket (exact location is dependant on whether it's a clone or an original - or even which revision board it is). I suspect it may look damaged.

Easiest way to fix things will most likely be to replace the Arduino Mega.
November 02, 2014 09:27AM
Well I looked in that area and I don't see any visible damage. I uploaded a pic to imgur but it somehow screwed it up:

[i.imgur.com]

The entire picture looks like the top part on my phone but Imgur is screwing it up for some reason. Anyway, I also don't see any visible damage on the RAMPS or drivers but something is clearly broken. It looks like I'm just going to order a new RAMPS + Arduino, and I think I have some spare drivers around here. Thanks for any more tips you might have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login