Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rumba USB Connection Issue, could use some advice

Posted by roygpa 
Rumba USB Connection Issue, could use some advice
November 03, 2014 11:30AM
I have a couple of Rumba boards that I bought thru Reprep Discount about 18 months ago. I set one up to run my Lulzbot TK-0 and then didn't use it for the past year.(Was using mu Prusa printer) Now I am having issues with connecting either Rumba board to a desk top or lap top machine. If it connects and starts printing, it will just disconnect a few minutes later. I have tried the troubleshooting info found on the Rumba Wiki (below), trying to get the 16U2 on the boards to re-flash (using windows and a program called Flip. I can't get Flip to connect to the board. I am not a Linux user so I tried Windows. Right now I do not have a Smart LCD hooked up to the Rumba but have one on order. Using the LCD instead of the computer would be great if it maintains the connection.

Has anyone run across this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Troubleshooting from the Rumba wiki

USB connection (Writing in progress)
Symptoms: Without any reason, the USB connection to the RUMBA is not possible. When connecting the USB cable to the computer, the operating system does not see any device. If the board is provided with a SD card reader, printing with a SD card is still possible.
Correction: First, be sure that the problem is not due to a bad position of the power jumper. The problem could be caused by the USB2Serial firmware. Then, you should flash the firmware following these steps:
Set the power jumper in "USB powered" position.
Place a jumper slightly on the two pins pointed by the white arrow (see picture below)
If the board is not mounted on your printer, place it on a clean, dry and insulated surface.
Connect the USB cable on the board, and connect it on your computer
Remove the jumper (be careful not to make short-circuit, do not use metallic tools). The TX and RX leds are flashing: the board is now in DFU mode. (My LEDs do not flash)
RUMBA DFU.png

If you are running Linux, you can now flash the firmware by doing this: (I used Flip, had trouble connecting to USB but when it did, it wouldn't load the .hex to the board)
Download and unzip File:RRD-RUMBA ATmega16U2 USB2Serial.hex.zip on your home folder.
Install the software dfu-programmer. You must have the version 0.5.5 or above (Ubuntu 13.10 or higher).
With root privileges (or sudo command), execute this command line to flash the firmware:
sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2 flash RRD-RUMBA_ATmega16U2_USB2Serial.hex
You can now disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, and try to connect your host software to the board. The board should now be listed with the "lsusb" command.
Re: Rumba USB Connection Issue, could use some advice
November 03, 2014 12:54PM
Using windows XP and Windows 7, the board fails to connect to the computers when running external power to the boards. When powering from USB I am occasionally able to connect and make adjustments to the Marlin firmware.

Roy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 12:54PM by roygpa.
November 08, 2014 01:08PM
I spent a week trying to get my Rumba boards to stay connected to the computer. No use, I couldn't figure it out. So at the risk of throwing good money after bad, I bought a Reprap discount LCD 2004 display. After having the same problems as everybody else with connection being backwards, I got the display to work.

Now I am trying to get it to print.

Here's where I need a bit of assistance. when I move each axis and bump them into my endstop, they stop as expected. for some reason "Set Origin" is missing as a display option and when I press "Autohome" the X axis crashes into the X endstop and tries to keep on going.

Is there a setting in the Marlin firmware that I should adjust to get "Set Origin" to show up or maybe another way to tell the printer where the home position is?

Thanks in advance.

Roy
Marlin-config.h endstops, home position issue help needed.
November 09, 2014 11:46AM
Could someone please take a look at my endstop settings from my configuration.f file and let me know if I have something set incorrectly? I was able to connect via computer last night and found that Pronterface does the same "home" crash. Endstops are mechanical.

If I back an axis into the endstop it does stop. If I tell it to move to home position, the x slams into the endstop and keeps on trying to move.

I do not have pull up resistors on each axis. Could that be the problem?

//===========================================================================
//=============================Mechanical Settings===========================
//===========================================================================

// Uncomment the following line to enable CoreXY kinematics
// #define COREXY

// corse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR true // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR true // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 295
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 295
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 182
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

#define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)

// The position of the homing switches
//#define MANUAL_HOME_POSITIONS // If defined, MANUAL_*_HOME_POS below will be used
//#define BED_CENTER_AT_0_0 // If defined, the center of the bed is at (X=0, Y=0)

//Manual homing switch locations:
#define MANUAL_X_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Y_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 0

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 4*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,79.91,1511.6,983} // TK-0 2 26 2013default steps per unit for ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

//
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 11:52AM by roygpa.
November 09, 2014 12:27PM
Never mind. it would appear that when I was installing the SmartLCD I mistakenly disconnected the X-min plug so the X axis didn't trip the switch. I discovered the problem by doing a M119 command and it return that Y and Z were tripped but not X.

Thanks for looking.

Roy
November 13, 2014 10:02AM
After having problems with and fixing the X axis, I then had problems with the Z axis not responding. Spent 3 nights working on it, and then decided to check the soldering work on the bottom of the board for the Z axis and found a loose connection. Re-soldered it and then was able to print with this printer for the first time since early 2013. Was just about ready to throw the Rumba board in the trash.

Thanks

Roy
September 14, 2022 08:41AM
Hi,
I am replacing a rumba board over GT2560 for geetech i3 pro B but as soon as I attache one of the min wires (x or y or z) I face power surge error. Does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login