Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fried Pololu stepper driver component

Posted by unicoder 
Fried Pololu stepper driver component
November 09, 2014 06:26PM
Hi all, I had a component on my Pololu fry or something. I have no idea whats wrong, but it seems to still be working.

Earlier today I was printing something and halfway through a bunch of steps were missed on the X-axis, but then the print immediately went back to normal. So the first half of the print is in the right spot, the second half shifted over. When I discovered this I noticed the distinct smelled of fried electronics in the air so I took a look at the robot brain. I've attached a pic of the RAMPS 1.2 board with two pololus in view so you can compare and contrast components.

My questions are these: Is it safe/advisable to continue using the pololu? What are the possible consequences? What does this component do?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20141109_144737.jpg (235.6 KB)
Re: Fried Pololu stepper driver component
November 09, 2014 10:37PM
It's hard to tell from a photo, but why take a chance. You can go to pololu.com directly and get these boards, assembled, for less than $8. For a few dollars more, you can step up the black edition which supposedly can handle higher current better.
Re: Fried Pololu stepper driver component
November 11, 2014 03:48PM
Good idea. I found that I actually had a spare unassembled a4983, so I put that together and everything's working great. Wow, when did those boards get so cheap? That's really great, I'll have to upgrade my discontinued boards at some point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login