Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting sound but no movement out of Nema 17

Posted by knife-edge 
Getting sound but no movement out of Nema 17
November 25, 2014 08:53PM
Ok so I just hooked up the steppers up to my ramps. I have the arduino flashed with marlin and I have 3 of the step sticks set at 250mah and the extuder stepstick set at 400mah. But in pronterface when I click x axis movement all I get is a noise out of the motor. I have tried all different combinations for the motor wires to be hooked up to the RAMPS board but I still get the sound. I have good voltage going to the ramps. I also havent changed any values within marlin so I dont know if there is an issue in there either.

Any suggestions?

Knife-Edge Designs, with Griffin Aeronautics- Check out our progress on our drones, 3d printing, and other projects on our google+ pages.
Re: Getting sound but no movement out of Nema 17
November 26, 2014 10:34AM
You have them set at 250 and 400 mah? What is a "mah"?
November 26, 2014 11:06AM
It stands for mill ampere hour (1000mah) in one amp hour.

I actually fixed the issue. Stupid me forgot to put the jumpers under the step sticks.drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 11:06AM by knife-edge.
December 19, 2014 08:49AM
what do the jumpers do under the drivers? Do all 3 always need to be installed?
December 19, 2014 01:45PM
yoUmake-3d
what do the jumpers do under the drivers? Do all 3 always need to be installed?
They control the microstepping level. For A4988 stepper drivers like step sticks and pololus, no jumpers means full steps while all 3 jumpers means 1/16th microsteps (dividing the full step into 16 smaller steps by varying the coil's magnetic fields slightly). There's also configurations for 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8. Other steppers may support higher levels of microstepping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login