Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD card listing

Posted by UkIan 
SD card listing
January 04, 2015 08:00AM
Using ramps with either a full graphics controller or SD ramps, the SD card works absolutely fine except for showing the filenames:

This SD card has 1 file on it called 1.gcode.

Looks like some sort of unicode issue to me, or similar. Anyone experienced this before? I assumed it was Simplify at first, but this screen is taken from Repetier, so it's the firmware sending something that isn't being parsed correctly.
Re: SD card listing
January 04, 2015 10:09AM
To preserve filename fidelity you need to use DOS upper case 8.3 format. If you call it 1.GCO it should work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 10:09AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 04, 2015 10:12AM
Looks like Marlin only supports 8.3 filename format, unlike firmwares for more modern boards.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2015 10:32AM
Ah ok, I'll give that a try. It hadn't occurred to me it wouldn't support it :/

DC, I've given up on the Duet for the moment. I cannot get the firmware to build at all. Each time I've tried I get a different set of issues. My biggest concern is I do get it to build, rely on it, something changes and I'm no longer able to build. I'll pop a more detailed post over in the other sub-forum.
January 04, 2015 07:28PM
UkIan
DC, I've given up on the Duet for the moment. I cannot get the firmware to build at all. Each time I've tried I get a different set of issues. My biggest concern is I do get it to build, rely on it, something changes and I'm no longer able to build. I'll pop a more detailed post over in the other sub-forum.

Do you really need to build it? You only need to build it if you want to change its functionality (unlike Marlin. which you need to rebuild every time you change the configuration parameters).

There is a guide to setting up the build system here [blog.think3dprint3d.com]. One thing that I discovered is that Eclipse does not take kindly to space characters in its workspace path. Also note that some of the code in the official RRP release will not compile if you use the latest version of the Arduino IDE, so stick to the recommended (old) version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 07:30PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 05, 2015 09:00AM
dc42
UkIan

Do you really need to build it? You only need to build it if you want to change its functionality (unlike Marlin. which you need to rebuild every time you change the configuration parameters).

There is a guide to setting up the build system here [blog.think3dprint3d.com]. One thing that I discovered is that Eclipse does not take kindly to space characters in its workspace path. Also note that some of the code in the official RRP release will not compile if you use the latest version of the Arduino IDE, so stick to the recommended (old) version.

Wait what? Really? So where do I find the compiled binary? I don't remember seeing it in github (probably wrong). So all the steps per mm stuff is configured via the web interface?? That would work for me. I only wanted to build it as I assumed I'd need to compile in these things, I'm not (currently) planning on making any actual changes to it smiling smiley

While we're on the subject, there are three versions linked in the guide, the original, yours and the dual extruder t3dp3d one. What changes are in your version?

I've followed that guide several times and it definitely doesn't work any more. I've tried an absurd number of combinations of versions of the arduino ide, eclipse and the plug in all without joy. I get different errors each time. I posted a bit more information in the "mainstream firmware" forum.
January 05, 2015 04:43PM
The compiled binaries can be found in the Release directories of the github repositories. The 3 main versions are now the reprappro master, my fork, and zombiepantslol's fork. All support multiple extruders and hot ends, and mixing extruders. I don't know whether the T3P3 fork has been kept up to date.

Configuration is done using gcode commands in the sys/config.g file on the SD card. You can upload a new config file using the web interface, so you don't need to pop the SD card out once you have the web interface working.

You can get a flavour of how to do the configuration from my just-published blog entry on using the Duet with the Mini Kossel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 04:47PM by dc42.

January 05, 2015 04:57PM
Zombie Pants Lol? Wasn't he working with Horsey Spleen Gulp and Smidgen Soap Taffeta??

Excellent news, I'll take a look at your blog too. I found the binaries as soon as I went back to the branch to look, so fingers crossed I'm back in business smiling smiley

Thanks again smiling smiley
January 05, 2015 06:01PM
DCDCDCDC!! Using your blog I uploaded the binary to the card. The original tutorial here relies on you having opened the project and built it before it will allow you to upload the binary, and even then I'm not sure the plug in works in quite the same way now as I never saw the button.

So question: Where the heck did you find the information? How did you know about the bossac command line, I would never have got it working without your blog.

For future generations, here's my command line:

E:\A\arduino157\hardware\tools> bossac --port=com7 -U true -e -w -v -b -R e:\RepRapFirmware-065k-dc42.bin

E:\A\arduino157 is the path to arduino 157 IDE. bossac lives in hardware\tools. I put the firmware on the root of E:\

There were three versions in the directory H, J and K, I assumed K was the latest, and ignored the others, is that correct, or are they functionally different?

Anyway, thanks for your help again smiling smiley
January 06, 2015 08:16AM
Hi Uklan, I'm glad you got the firmware flashed.

1. The firmware versions on the master branch in my repository are very old now. Current stable versions are on the dev branch (latest is 0.78za AFAIR), and development versions are on the delta branch (latest is 0.80d). Binaries on the delta branch do not only support delta printers, they are configurable.

2. Duet electronics is so far mostly used with the Ormerod printer. So you will find much more info about the Duet on the Ormerod forum than on any of the other forums.

3. I got the instructions for using bossac from the RepRapPro assembly instructions for the Ormerod here [reprappro.com]. You don't actually need the Arduino IDE, just bossac.

January 06, 2015 03:29PM
Excellent Thank you smiling smiley, so I should give0.78za AFAIR a go? I don't need delta, although,... no I'm not getting a delta printer yet.
January 06, 2015 05:52PM
Yes, 0.78za is good to use. I suggest you post any further correspondence on this topic in the general Electronics or Firmware forums, as it doesn't belong in the Ramps forum.

January 07, 2015 04:40AM
Yes, I got a little side tracked smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login