Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for better price/quality RAMPS

Posted by Yvan 
Looking for better price/quality RAMPS
January 09, 2015 11:51AM
Hello Everyone,

I've bought over a dozen RAMPS 1.4 boards, some are very good quality($180), others very cheap($50). Not much in between.

The cheapest boards have really been hit and miss, with about 25% failure rate in one form or another. The expensive ones have been better, but....

Has anyone found a good source for a good quality board that is not overly expensive?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Re: Looking for better price/quality RAMPS
January 09, 2015 02:07PM
180 dollar ?

Most of my 3d printers cost less on parts in total......

I have so far used 3 of these: Ramps

No problem whatsoever.

And for that money, you can blow a few :-)

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 09, 2015 02:25PM
I got my RAMPS, Mega, and 5 stepper drivers from Folger Tech (they have a web store or on ebay under the username of sidewinderinc) for $40 or $50. Haven't had a bit of problem with the board aside from the bed MOSFET getting hot, but that's common for all RAMPS boards especially with a low resistance heated bed (.8 ohms) like mine.
January 09, 2015 02:30PM
Yes, those are some of the ones I've bought. About $50 Canadian with the Arduino and drivers. I think they are all from the same factory. I've repaired a couple. I don't know that kind of solder they use, so I can't put them in finished machines...

So far all of mine either worked fine or died on the spot. They seem to be reliable after that.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
January 14, 2015 11:42AM
So about those bed MOSFETs getting hot, I've bought some little heat sinks to help with that. Not exactly the right type though. The Folger Tech boards don't have one installed at all.

I've been running one board a lot without a heat sink and it is holding up, but I will put it on there when I change things around later on.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login