Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to use RAMPS to output 5V to load a Raspberry Pi (Octoprint)?

Posted by dolphinboy 
Is it possible to use RAMPS to output 5V to load a Raspberry Pi (Octoprint)?
January 26, 2015 11:45AM
I haven't an ATX power supply with a 5V output so I'm wondering if I can get those 5V from any pin in the RAMPS 1.4 board... I have tried unsuccessfully with the 5V servos pins...
Any easy way?

Thanks!
Re: Is it possible to use RAMPS to output 5V to load a Raspberry Pi (Octoprint)?
January 26, 2015 01:12PM
The 5v pins in the servo section are not powered by default. You can pick up 5 volts a the VCC pin beside the reset button.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Re: Is it possible to use RAMPS to output 5V to load a Raspberry Pi (Octoprint)?
January 26, 2015 05:43PM
You dont want to power the raspberry pi through any 5v output on the ramps board as the raspi needs a lot of power
especially if you are going to attach anything to it. Like a wireless dongle or camera.
All of thd 5v lines on ramps are supplied by the regulator on board taken from the 12v input.

Take another 5v line directly from your atx power supply and you will have plenty of power.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 05:45PM by gordonendersby.
January 27, 2015 03:14AM
Thank you!
I then will have to attach a new power adapter =p
January 27, 2015 10:01AM
I've used a powered USB hub to provide the standby power for the ramps, pi, EDI wireless adapter, and a USB camera. If you don't want to go with a full ATX power supply, a LM2596 power supply can easily and cheaply regulate down a 12, 24, or whatever voltage supply you already have to something a little more easily used.
January 27, 2015 07:24PM
Hi cdru,

I like the idea of the LM2596... is it possible to attach it to any power supply? is there any tutorial on how to use it?

Thanks again to all of you
January 28, 2015 09:58AM
dolphinboy
I like the idea of the LM2596... is it possible to attach it to any power supply? is there any tutorial on how to use it?
Any power supply that falls within the designed input voltage. Most power supplies I've seen are rated at some value over 24V, but there are so many slightly different ones that you have to double check if you're running higher voltags. But any should work for 12V -> 5V.

Usually the inputs and outputs are at the corners or on the ends and are labeled as such. For example.... You can either solder header pins or directly solder the wires to the board. I'm hoping you can figure out on your own which wire goes where. If the power supply you get doesn't have a LCD read out, just use a multimeter to measure the output while turning the screw on top of the pot until you get the voltage you want. You may need to tweak it just a little after you have a full load if the voltage dips down a little too much.
February 03, 2015 08:12AM
thanks, as you say I think I can figure it out.
I also liked these ones with LCD display.

Thanks again =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login