Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface won't connect anymore

Posted by Imhotep 
Pronterface won't connect anymore
February 04, 2015 10:06AM
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble connecting my Prusa i3 to Pronterface.

I have been printing for 6-7months succesfully. Last week I wanted to replace a fan and I got some sparks and ashort circuit I believe.

Now when I try to connect to Pronterface it only says: ''connecting...''

I have attached a photo of my Arduino.

Hopefully someone has some tips, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Imhotep
Attachments:
open | download - foto (42).JPG (129.7 KB)
Re: Pronterface won't connect anymore
February 05, 2015 05:23AM
Anyone?
February 05, 2015 08:48AM
Is the Arduino recognized by your computer when you plug in the USB cable? If not, then try another USB device (thumb drive, cell phone, etc.) to see if they are recognized. If they are recognized, but not the Arduino, then the Arduino is bad. If other devices are also not recognized, then I suspect the port on the computer may be damaged.

If the Arduino is recognized by the computer when plugging it in, check to be sure the computer didn't bump it to a different COM port address. You can test this by connecting to the Arduino with the Arduino IDE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 08:49AM by MindRealm.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 05, 2015 01:48PM
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

My arduino is connecting with my mac. When I try to upload a new program it says: ''timeout communicating with programmer''

The on led lights up and there is a yellow light burning at ''Aref''
February 05, 2015 10:02PM
The LEDs and connection to your Mac is great news! It is possible (likely) that the port assignment for the connected USB has changed, and needs to be updated in the Arduino IDE and Pronterface.. I'm not very familiar with iOS, so I'm afraid I can't guide you how to check the port address. sad smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 05, 2015 11:56PM
Actually, I'm not so sure that you have a viable connection between the Arduino and the Mac. Yes the LED's are a good sign, but the message "timeout communicating with programmer" is not. It looks like the arduino is powering up, but there is no way to communicate with it. If you cannot even upload one of the arduino IDE sample programs, then my diagnosis would be that the arduino is beyond repair. I guess it could be just that you are using the wrong port, but like mindrealm, I am totally unfamiliar with the mac operating system,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 11:57PM by jbernardis.
February 07, 2015 03:19PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I checked the ports like 5 times so it should be good by now...

I decided to buy a new Arduino mega, all these hours spend trying to fix it are just nog worth it.

cheers
September 09, 2016 11:27AM
Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem here. I used to run my printer on another computer. I'm using teacup and pronterface, with an Uno. I have no trouble uploading the firmware, but I'm not able to connect the printer to pronterface. The usb port is ok, the baudrate is ok... Anybody have an idea ?
Cheers

LioLine
September 09, 2016 11:47AM
Windows? Which port is it? COM10 or above?

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
VDX
September 09, 2016 11:54AM
... when installing my Pronterface-based software on a new computer I have first to install the Arduino IDE with it's own drivers, or the Arduinos will be installed as "standard" USB devices, which aren't present in Pronterface ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 10, 2016 01:58PM
Windows 8, it's on COM4
September 10, 2016 01:59PM
Hi Wurstnase (love your pseudo) I'm on windows 8, connecting the printer on com4
September 10, 2016 02:04PM
I tried that, installing the driver from arduino ide, (I also change the windows8 setting to allow installation of unkown driver) but still no connection.
I wonder if I'm not missing something very obvious here. But I went through the installation of the different software several time, and still have no clue of what's going wrong.

Thank for the answer anyway.
September 10, 2016 02:45PM
You should be able to connect via ArduinoIDE. Select the correct port and open the serial monitor. Maybe you need to change the baudrate to 115200 in your firmware, afaik the ArduinoIDE don't support 250000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 02:45PM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
September 10, 2016 03:27PM
I don't understand what I should do after I opened the serial monitor ? What do you mind by connect via ArduinoIDE?
Thank you for the help.
VDX
September 10, 2016 06:36PM
... if you start the ArduinoIDE, set the correct board and baudrate, you can see the serial feedback/handshake of the firmware in the serial monitor window.

With wrong baudrate you'll see some cryptic chars when starting the board ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 11, 2016 05:44AM
Hi Viktor,

ok so when I open the serial monitor, nothing happen. I tried this tutorial : [www.instructables.com]
- I loaded the sketch, set the right baudrate, and was able to send and receive data.
So I guess there is a problem in the baudrate set in my firmware right ? But I checked that and it seems alright to me. I didn't go through all that trouble with my previous computer (the only difference was that it was running on windows 7).

Lionel
September 11, 2016 07:17AM
LioLine
I don't understand what I should do after I opened the serial monitor ?
Press and release the Reset button. This should send the word "start" over the serial line. If there's just some garbage or simply nothing, try other baud rates. One can simply try all of them: 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 250000.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 26, 2017 12:00PM
Traumflug
LioLine
I don't understand what I should do after I opened the serial monitor ?
Press and release the Reset button. This should send the word "start" over the serial line. If there's just some garbage or simply nothing, try other baud rates. One can simply try all of them: 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 250000.

Sorry to appear ignorant but does this mean the reset button on the actual Arduino hardware?

Terry
VDX
January 26, 2017 04:16PM
... yes ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login