Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many watts is safe?

Posted by Antslake 
How many watts is safe?
March 18, 2015 08:42PM
I just purchased a silicone heat pad for my makerfarm i3 with Ramps 1.4. The pad is 12V 200watts. If I plug this into the ramps will it blow? Or will it just draw as much as the Ramps puts out, which is probably less than 200 watts.
Re: How many watts is safe?
March 19, 2015 12:52AM
Antslake
I just purchased a silicone heat pad for my makerfarm i3 with Ramps 1.4. The pad is 12V 200watts. If I plug this into the ramps will it blow? Or will it just draw as much as the Ramps puts out, which is probably less than 200 watts.

There is a PTC resettable fuse on the RAMPS specifically for the heatbed and it is specified for 10~11 A. 12V 200W means something like 15~16A. So definitely it will trigger the fuse.

Also the RAMPS is not designed for currents above 10~11A so I definitely advise you to NOT use this silicon pad connected directly to the RAMPS. If you still want to use it, add an SSR to the circuit.
March 19, 2015 12:33PM
It's not the power supply that determines the amount of current flowing, it's the load. 200W at 12V = 200/12 = 16.66 amps. As AndrewBCN correctly states, this will trip the PTC fuse. It also may exceed the current carrying capacity of the RAMPS traces (which is why the fuse limited to what it is). Also, you don't give specs on your PSU, but this could also exceed its maximum too, which is something you'd want to avoid.

Using an SSR is good advice. Your RAMPS triggers the SSR at a much lower current draw, and the SSR turns the heated bed on and off. Just make sure the SSR is appropriately rated.
March 19, 2015 06:34PM
I figured it would over draw, just wasn't sure if the ramps was current limiting.
I am using a pyramid 20amp power supply. I can dedicate it for just the heat bed and use a 12amp for the rest.

Any good places to get a SSR relay? I see a lot of difference in pricing.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login