Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

modify ramps 1.4 to make it more reliable ?

Posted by migel_hrndz 
Re: modify ramps 1.4 to make it more reliable ?
October 22, 2015 11:23PM
The jumper pins have to be desoldered and the land between the pins cut. Resolder the pins back and you have control with the jumpers.
November 04, 2015 01:54AM
Or you can order some silentstepsticks. The best upgrade ive done to my printers.
They run smoother and a lot quieter
silentstepstick your tube vid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 01:54AM by bigfilsing.
November 04, 2015 02:09AM
Sorry bigfilsing , what does that have to do with the jumpers?

Alfredo

Q*Bot Delta Printer: [forums.reprap.org]
Q*Extruder V2: [forums.reprap.org]
November 04, 2015 02:49AM
Qbert25
Sorry bigfilsing , what does that have to do with the jumpers?

The silent step sticks completely ignore the ramps jumpers !
January 30, 2016 11:10PM
Industrial best practice is to NOT tin wires that are to be terminated with screw terminals.

The reason this is so is that the differing thermal expansion rates of copper and solder cause a problem. The solder in the tinned wire end expands more than the copper (brass) terminal and a big peg in small hole causes the softer metal to yield (it gets softer with increasing heat as well). When the temperature drops later the parts contract again but now the tinned wire end is smaller than it was and causes a bad connection.

[reprap.org]

Instead use wire ferrules, also referred to as bootlace ferrules.
January 31, 2016 04:17AM
Getting back to the original question - a more reliable RAMPS - you could always spend a bit more money and get one that's been made properly: RAMPS Premium. The only things I don't like the look of are the fuses - it's a shame they didn't fit real fuses.
January 31, 2016 06:54AM
That premium ramps talks a good talk but....

16volt caps under pololus, means you also cant use this ramps with 24v.
January 31, 2016 09:46AM
Dust

Also it doesn't have a 5V regulator on board to avoid relying on the often-overloaded one on the Arduino Mega. That and the 16V limitation make it a fail IMO.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 31, 2016 11:20AM
So - apart from the fuses, voltage and regulator it should be fine! tongue sticking out smiley

In reality though - if someone really wants a RAMPS board and plans to use it normally then it would be a decent purchase.

Mind you, at that price, it's a fair way towards the cost of a 32-bit board (assuming that the 32-bit board is also made properly).
January 31, 2016 09:23PM
dc42
Dust

Also it doesn't have a 5V regulator on board to avoid relying on the often-overloaded one on the Arduino Mega. That and the 16V limitation make it a fail IMO.

Do ANY Ramps have 5V regulators on board????

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 01, 2016 03:20AM
I am not aware of any RAMPS boards that have voltage regulators on board.

I suspect that when RAMPS was first designed several years ago, nobody used GLCDs or servos on their 3D printers, and everyone made small printers that only needed 12V supplies. Also the 32-bit processors cost more than the 8-bit ones did. In that context, the RAMPS design made sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 03:21AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 01, 2016 11:10AM
dc42

I suspect that when RAMPS was first designed several years ago, nobody used GLCDs or servos on their 3D printers, and everyone made small printers that only needed 12V supplies. Also the 32-bit processors cost more than the 8-bit ones did. In that context, the RAMPS design made sense.

Then that board in question isn't a "fail" because it doesn't have a regulator, is it? I wish they did but ...............

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 01, 2016 01:40PM
You could always mount a separate 5v regulator nearby, and set the RAMPS board to use the external supply (IIRC). Pololu switched-mode voltage regulators are small, cheap and run almost stone-cold.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 01:42PM by David J.
February 01, 2016 04:02PM
tjnamtiw
dc42

Then that board in question isn't a "fail" because it doesn't have a regulator, is it? I wish they did but ...............

Yes it is a fail, because it addresses one of the deficiencies of RAMPS in today's context (inadequate mosfets) but not the others.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login