Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hack/Mod Ramps 1.4 for Dual X or Y Carriages

Posted by Aaagogo 
Hack/Mod Ramps 1.4 for Dual X or Y Carriages
June 03, 2015 02:36AM
Hey reprapers,

i am looking to adapt a mod for either Dual X or Dual Y carriages for a 3d printer on the RAMPS 1.4 board

The goal is to separate a single module dual head extruder into 2 separate extruder heads each independently controlled by their own X or Y carriage.

based off the wiring schematics, Aux 2 from the RAMPS 1.4 board can be used for the additional X2 stepper driver

The free pins on Aux 2 can be added into the pins.h file by defining them in the software

// For RAMPS 1.4
#define X2_STEP_PIN 5
#define X2_DIR_PIN 9
#define X2_ENABLE_PIN 10

These are the available and free pins on AUX 2 and not in use

and not to forget a 10k resistor to VDD

VDD, M1, M2, M3 connected to +5V

Am i missing anything?

thanks for the help smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 11:50PM by Aaagogo.
Re: Hack/Mod Ramps 1.4 for Dual X or Y Carriages
June 03, 2015 06:17AM
When you´ve managed to implement it in Marlin, how would you tell the slicer you have two independent extruders?

What would be the benefit of two independent extruders? The RAMPS fuse can´t power both hot ends at the same time. ( SS-Relais would help )
If it´s just about printing dual color at higher speed, you better build a second printer and reach that goal easily. smiling smiley

Only my 2 cent....
-Olaf
June 03, 2015 09:04AM
o_lampe
When you´ve managed to implement it in Marlin, how would you tell the slicer you have two independent extruders?

What would be the benefit of two independent extruders? The RAMPS fuse can´t power both hot ends at the same time. ( SS-Relais would help )
If it´s just about printing dual color at higher speed, you better build a second printer and reach that goal easily. smiling smiley

Only my 2 cent....
-Olaf

i did not realise that the Ramps fuse can't power both hot ends at the same time... sad smiley

Ramps does support dual hot ends as it's specifications correct? If Ramps can't run dual extruder, why did they put that in there? Could someone please verify running both hot ends at the same time? Thanks

configuration.h supports

// If the machine can independently move the second extruder on the X or Y axis
// uncomment the appropriate define and uncomment/use paramters with X0/X1/Y0/Y1
// instead of X/Y in their name (those are dual drive specific).
//#define DUAL_X_DRIVE
//#define DUAL_Y_DRIVE
June 03, 2015 11:00AM
The math is easy: each hotend has 40W . At 12V this is 3.33A. You only have a 5A fuse.
One extruder has to be powered and controlled by a relais.
It wasn´t necessary to power both hotends at once, because the slicers I know only generate code for one nozzle at a time.

I have to apologize, I didn´t know, that Marlin has such settings.
A second x-axis would be the easiest adation. Just put two frames vis-á-vis on one y-carrier.

But still I don´t see the benefit.
I´m getting curious grinning smiley
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 11:02AM by o_lampe.
June 03, 2015 11:07AM
It Will power both hotends at the same time... The fuse is fine.
June 26, 2015 04:25PM
Do you not need another stepper to drive the second extruder as well. In total, on my machine, I have a stepper for the Y Axis; Two steppers for Z but they are in series and use one output on the Ramp 1.4; Two steppers, one for each X carriage for each extruder on the default X drive and the second using Pins X2_Ena 41, X2_Step 43 and X2_dir 45. I have to use these pins because the default ones defined in Marlin are used for my LCD control panel. I'm using J Head MkV extruders and both run quite happily at the same time. I have enable the DUAL_X_CARRIAGE macro in Configuration_adv.h

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
July 30, 2015 09:15PM
Hi, i trying to make a dual x carriage prusa 3 using ramps 1.4, how i can identify the pins numbers i can see on marlin firmware configuration_avd.h and pins.h on the ramps? because i can find an schematic of ramps with that pin numbers. for example 29, 25 and 23 (the default for dual x).

reggards!
August 01, 2015 03:57AM
The schematic is here in the first post.
The pins 23, 25, 29 are all located on AUX4.
-Olaf
August 01, 2015 09:49PM
I am looking for a way on how to add one additional stepper driver for my MKS gen v1.3 board (Ramp1.4 compatible). It seems that your idea might be one solution for me. How was the result?
May 07, 2017 03:36PM
Hi

Cant find the dual x carriage support in config.h Therme ist just an Entrance in config ADV.h
But if i define it i got a failure in pins.h

#define __EPIN(p,q) how can i fix it?

Thanks for your help.
May 18, 2017 12:49AM
Hi,
How about the resoult?Which a few pins need to be changed?I am hacking my RUMBA board.Anyone can help me ?
November 28, 2017 12:08PM
I bought a cheap stepper driver extender on ebay and connected it to my Ramps 1.4 aux 2 pins 44,64 and 59 and created a new definition for E2 on the pinsRamp.h file in ramps. the new marlin firmware will recognize E2 and will automatically redefine as X2. you have to activiate the xmaxplug defenition in order to mke it work

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 12:17PM by 3DLTech.
Attachments:
open | download - image.png (182.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login