Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstop question

Posted by RGN01 
Endstop question
July 18, 2015 03:43AM
When an endstop is triggered during normal operations (i.e. printing, not homing) what should happen?

Using RAMPS v1.4 on a Prusa i3

I've tried to find the answer but haven't been able to yet. I have max endstops on all three axes. My thinking was that if a belt slipped or anything else went wrong at least I'd have some protection from the carriage / head / bed crashing into the frame. Unfortunately it seems to have no effect if an endstop is triggered during normal printing - the printer carries on. Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks.

Richard
Re: Endstop question
July 18, 2015 04:18AM
Nothing by default

The endstops are in my vew miss labeld, should really be call homing switches, as that what they do. They set the home location

Some firmwares you can enable endstop detection for normal moves.. but to what end...
July 18, 2015 04:42AM
Thanks, Dust.

I'm a belt and braces kinda guy and like to have protection from foreseeable situations. I've already had the head jam on the print when the layer fan duct dropped unexpectedly. This caused steps to be missed and then, when the part of the duct that was jamming broke off, the head resumed moving again but about an inch out of position. The carriage didn't hit the frame but it was very easy to see how it could.

I've thus decided to try to implement endstops (and by the way, I like your term 'homing switches'). I may have to go for a crowbar type device - if one of the endstops is hit in normal operation it cuts power. Crude, but effective!

Richard
July 18, 2015 10:17AM
In marlin configuration_adv.h tere is the following line. Not sure whar it does if commented out.

#define ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING // If defined the endstops will only be used for homing

There is also these lines commentede out

// Enable the option to stop SD printing when hitting and endstops, needs to be enabled from the LCD menu when this option is enabled.
//#define ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT_FEATURE_ENABLED

Again not sure what it does if not using sd print
July 18, 2015 12:44PM
george4657
In marlin configuration_adv.h tere is the following line. Not sure whar it does if commented out.

Thanks, George - when commented out the endstops act as safety stops. This is exactly what I wanted, thanks.

I don't think I would ever have found it alone - I really battle to find my way around the files in Marlin - there are just so many!

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login