Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breaking Y axis a4988 when powering ramps

Posted by Tobo27 
Breaking Y axis a4988 when powering ramps
August 06, 2015 01:07PM
Hi all!

Today I was testing for the first time my ramps board, and I burned two y-axis stepper drivers (a4988) in the same situation.

I use an atx as power supply, and before removing diode D1 from the ramps board, I burned an Arduino Mega 2560 ( angry smiley ) simply powering on the atx. After removing the diode (obviously I had to use a new arduino), again just powering on the atx caused the y axis a4988 to die. And it happened twice!

So, is it ok to suppose that the atx is the problem (maybe it gives some sort of voltage peak on power on) and that I need to purchase a 12V 20A PSU? Or maybe I have to look for something else before wasting money and cooking another Arduino?

Also, do you think that powering on the atx, and then connecting it the board could solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Tobo
Re: Breaking Y axis a4988 when powering ramps
August 06, 2015 03:54PM

Also, do you think that powering on the atx, and then connecting it the board could solve this problem?
Never plug or unplug anything with power on. I learned this the hard way.

Furthermore, check that you have no solder flecks shorting things out under the ramps board, an all to familiar occurrence on cheap Ramps Boards. The power supply shouldn't be an issue as long as it is reading 12v when running.
August 06, 2015 05:39PM
Thanks for your answer.

I'll check the ramps board smiling smiley
August 07, 2015 10:27AM
Well, I found no solder fleks :/ I checked for short circuits but nothing there too.

So I have to suppose that the mistake was powering on and off the atx by inserting the plug in the wall socket, and that the y axis a4988 is connected in a way that makes it die when I do that.

Am I wrong? confused smiley
August 07, 2015 11:07PM
Turning on and off the power supply by use of wall or switch shouldn't matter. I would say at this point to try plugging in components one at a time, turning off the power before plugging the next component in. Take your time. It could be another driver, I had a bad driver that was shorting out the whole system and replacing it solved my issues. Sorry that you are having such a hard time though.
August 08, 2015 12:42AM
I would make sure you've got the polarity for the 5A input the right way around, and make sure you've got the stepper drivers plugged in correctly and not off-by-one hole.

This might help:[www.reprap.org]

Note: Where the diagram uses black and yellow for the PSU wires, you can use the black and yellow wires on the ATX.
August 08, 2015 01:35AM
gmckee
Turning on and off the power supply by use of wall or switch shouldn't matter. I would say at this point to try plugging in components one at a time, turning off the power before plugging the next component in. Take your time. It could be another driver, I had a bad driver that was shorting out the whole system and replacing it solved my issues. Sorry that you are having such a hard time though.

Ahahaha don't worry I've had to face harder things than this grinning smiley Just to be sure I ordered a new ramps and 5 drivers smiling smiley

Cefiar
I would make sure you've got the polarity for the 5A input the right way around, and make sure you've got the stepper drivers plugged in correctly and not off-by-one hole.

The polarity for the 5A input is correct, but it could have been a wrong positioning to kill the driver the second time. Unfortunately I removed the a4988 without checking so I guess I'll never know.
The first time, the driver died together with the Arduino so it might have been something caused by the Arduino. I'm pretty sure the Arduino died because of his voltage regulator, which was damaged (actually it was literally burned ), so the 12V supply probably reached the Atmega and cooked it (I remember it was really hot!)

I'm sorry, I'm just wasting your time, I was so happy to have time to work on my printer, that I probably made stupid errors caused by the rush.

I'm left with 2 drivers, I'll assemble the remaining mechanics and then I'll try to move X and Y axes until I will get the new ramps and drivers.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login