Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think I messed up my ramps board please help me out.

Posted by twitch 
I think I messed up my ramps board please help me out.
August 24, 2015 08:41PM
Hey everyone thanks for looking at this. I am in the middle of hooking an induction sensor to my printers z end stop for ABL. The sensor is fed 12v and and if you meter from the 12v+ to the sensor output then you get 12v if you trip the sensor it drops to 0v. If you meter from the 12v- and the sensor you get 0v until the sensor is tripped then you get 12v. I hooked the sensors output to my z axis S pin and all was well the sensor was working triggering the z stop....

Then I had a lightbulb... I figured I would use my old end stop for a emergency stop set just lower than the induction sensor incase of failure it will trip and minimise a bed crash. Yea that is where things got hairy. What I didnt realise was my old end stop was connected to the z axis - and S and the induction was dumping 12v into the S pin when I hit the old end stop to test it. Now I am getting a constant 5ish volts from the z axis - and S pins. So now my induction sensor has a always on dim light then when I trip it it goes full brightness. This is from the now 5ish volts back feeding into it then when it gets its 12v it gets brighter. The firmware now reports a constant 02:08:27.615 : echo:endstops hit: Z:-0.00. If I hook up the old end stop the printer works just fine. and if I unhook the induction sensor output from the ramps board the led only comes on when triggered.

If I messed up the z end stop on the ramps I am just going to splice the wires going to my old endstop and use a npn transistor so there wont be any more issues.

What happened to my ramps or arduino. I know I am not the first to do this. Thanks for any help guys and gals.

EDIT:::: Ok I just started messing with this again and now I can move y any direction with its end stop triggering normal. On z I can move down fine triggering the end stop but I cant move up it says triggered. I can move x just fine. This is a m119

20:05:04.522 : Reporting endstop status
20:05:04.522 : x_min: open
20:05:04.526 : x_max: open
20:05:04.526 : y_min: open
20:05:04.526 : y_max: open
20:05:04.526 : z_min: open
20:05:04.526 : z_max: TRIGGERED

So I need to figure out why x_max is triggered now.

Here is my config

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
   //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true;  //true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
//#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 09:18PM by twitch.
Re: I think I messed up my ramps board please help me out.
August 25, 2015 02:59AM
You probably shouldn't use those sensors directly hooked to pretty much any Reprap electronics.

The inputs for Endstops should never get any more than 5V, else you'll fry the inputs on the microcontroller (the ATMega chip on the Arduino Mega in the case or RAMPS). If you're lucky, you'll only have fried the one input for the Endstop in question. You might be able to use another digital input in place of the now fried one.
August 25, 2015 06:46AM
Always use a voltage divider or optocoupler or make the sensor signal OpenCollector with a NPN transistor ( logic inversed then ) with 12V sensors.
-Olaf
August 25, 2015 02:17PM
Thanks guys for the replys. What I ended up doing is hooking a 2n2222 transistor to the output of my induction sensor and then hooking that to the wires for the old end stops and are currnetly using both like I orginally wanted. the old end stop was set just lower than the induction sensor as a emergency backup for crashes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login