Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS Beginners Question

Posted by Colt 
RAMPS Beginners Question
October 22, 2015 11:28PM
Hey everyone. I'm new around here, and building my first Delta printer, so forgive me if this isn't in the best location.

Most of the hardware and electronics appear to be in place and hooked up correctly. I've ran a RAMPS 1.4 test code that wiggles everything, and the motors are turing well. I've also ran M119, and it is showing that my max endstops are open. My problem comes when triggering an endstop. When an endstop gets triggered, my laptop disconnects from the printer, and I must unplug it, and plug it back in if I want to continue. Would anyone have some insight on this? To my understanding, it should just stop the printer and not disconnect it.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if there is any more information that I should provide for a helpful response, as I'm sure I'm missing something in this post.
Re: RAMPS Beginners Question
October 22, 2015 11:41PM
Here is what Pronterface outputs to me when an endstop gets triggered:

[ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)
[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error
[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error
October 23, 2015 12:52AM
Is it possible that your endstopd are plugged in the wrong way, so that the switches are shorting 5V to ground instead of pulling down the signal line to ground? Unfortunately, the RAMPS endstop pins are in the order "+-S", so when an endstop that has a switch between "-" and "S" is plugged in the wrong way, it will cause a short. sad smiley

PS: BTW the Sanguinololu has the signal pin in the middle, so even if you connect it the wrong way, it won't harm the RAMPS board.
October 23, 2015 01:19AM
Thanks for the quick reply! Turns out this was the case.

In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread in the future, I'm using the Signswise endstops from Amazon. They came with the 3 wire connectors, however, like enif stated, the order was not correct for the RAMPS 1.4 board.

SOLUTION: Cut the red and black wires, and switch the two.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login