Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wishing to buy a ramps but i am afraid.

Posted by Gaou 
Wishing to buy a ramps but i am afraid.
December 09, 2015 01:55AM
Guys i need some advice as i want to build me second printer. My first one is a mendel from rpp and it was easy to build and work with . Plus the duet board with the proterface and network frindly support is something that make my life easy.

But the duet is expensive comparing to what i can find on the net ( ramps. )

So i would like to ask some things.

First i see many ramps boards. Are all of them the same ? DO i have to pay attention on possible scams ? Is there any way that ramps would support autobed leveling ? As i am building the same mendel that i bought from rpp would ramps be a problem to set it to work with this hardware setup ?

Also do you have a reliable shop for buying this board or any ebay store would do ? Finally would it be possible for ramps to run the user frindly network with web interface ?

Thanks in advance guys ,,
Be well.
Re: Wishing to buy a ramps but i am afraid.
December 09, 2015 05:37AM
You can get a Duet for $50 from Replikeo, although their quality control does not appear to be as good as with boards from T3P3 or RepRapPro. But they do seem happy to replace faulty boards - you just have to wait for shipping from China again.

Not all RAMPS boards are equal. The good ones (e.g. from T3P3) have adequately-rated heated bed mosfets. The cheap ones from China frequently do not and the heated bed mosfet overheats. Similarly, the Ice Blue stepsticks from T3P3 cool the driver chips much better than the cheap Chinese stepsticks.

You will need to add an SD card socket to the RAMPS in order to get good print quality. These normally come as part of an LCD panel/SD card combo. If you choose a graphic LCD, then you will need to provide external 5V power, otherwise the 5V regulator on the Arduino will probably overheat.

Also get yourself a ceramic screwdriver for adjusting the stepper motor currents, and a multimeter if you don't already have one. There is no software control of stepper motor current with RAMPS.

You can do auto bed levelling with RAMPS. You won't be able to use the same analog sensor as on your Mendel, but my own Mini Differential IR sensor is compatible with RAMPS, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

To add a network interface to RAMPS, the usual approach is to add another electronics board such as RPi running Octoprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 05:41AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 09, 2015 07:43AM
dc42
You can get a Duet for $50.
For euro 37,- (~$41) you can buy a Ramps & 2004 LCD Controller & MEGA 2560 r3 and 5 x A4988 Drivers and get free shipping.
December 09, 2015 02:59PM
Thanks DC42 for ur cleared and helpfull answer. I just looked what you have told me . But one more question . If there is something bad on a board is it really hard for me to replace - upgrade this part? I am talking about the cheap chinese solution that you have told me

Frans@France
For euro 37,- (~$41) you can buy a Ramps & 2004 LCD Controller & MEGA 2560 r3 and 5 x A4988 Drivers and get free shipping.

Frans can you share a link please of someone reliable with this kind of prices .

Thanks again both of you guys.
Pavlos
December 09, 2015 03:54PM
Frans@France
dc42

Even if your 37 euro RAMPS board doesn't suffer from the problems that some Chinese RAMPS boards do, I think the extra $9 + shipping is well worth it for the Ethernet interface supporting DuetWebControl. And the native USB interface. And the software-controlled stepper motor currents. And the higher stepper motor drive current thanks to better stepper driver cooling. And the extra processing power that provides smoother stepper motor operation. And the capability to turn up the PSU voltage if the bed heater turns out to be underpowered. And not having to rebuild and re-upload the firmware every time I want to change the firmware configuration.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 10, 2015 05:09AM
dc42
Frans@France
dc42

Even if your 37 euro RAMPS board doesn't suffer from the problems that some Chinese RAMPS boards do, I think the extra $9 + shipping is well worth it for the Ethernet interface supporting DuetWebControl. And the native USB interface. And the software-controlled stepper motor currents. And the higher stepper motor drive current thanks to better stepper driver cooling. And the extra processing power that provides smoother stepper motor operation. And the capability to turn up the PSU voltage if the bed heater turns out to be underpowered. And not having to rebuild and re-upload the firmware every time I want to change the firmware configuration.

David you are right as the duet is a superior board comparing to ramps BUT even in the replikeo it comes to 70 dollars without customs . That means it's price is almost identical to the rpp one final . But it seems to be far more user friendly than ramps . Anyway i ll see what i ll do .
December 10, 2015 05:56AM
dc42
..the Ethernet interface supporting DuetWebControl. And the native USB interface. And the software-controlled stepper motor currents. And the higher stepper motor drive current thanks to better stepper driver cooling. And the extra processing power that provides smoother stepper motor operation. And the capability to turn up the PSU voltage if the bed heater turns out to be underpowered. And not having to rebuild and re-upload the firmware every time I want to change the firmware configuration.

Yes the duet has more capabilities but none of those are a necessary to make a functional 3d printer. And yes it might(!) be possible that for that euro 37 maybe the RAMPS or the LCD or the MEGA or the Drivers are crap but till this moment had no issues with them on my printer or Lyman based filament extruder, except for that stupid fixed 16 microstep on the RAMPS smiling smiley
December 10, 2015 05:58AM
Frans@France
except for that stupid fixed 16 microstep on the RAMPS smiling smiley

There is no fixed microstepping on the ramps. Remove the jumpers if you need less.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
December 10, 2015 06:08AM
Gaou
Frans@France

Frans can you share a link please of someone reliable with this kind of prices .

Pavlos

Pavlos,

That price can be found on ebay. I have no idea how to quantify "reliable" but 99.6% positive feedback and over 12000 sales might give some idea. Please note however that there are RAMPS out there that have the microstep fixed to 16 so the jumpers won't work.
December 10, 2015 06:15AM
Wurstnase
There is no fixed microstepping on the ramps..
yes there is. There seems to be a batch where there are traces underneath the jumpers, you can find that info on this forum, can't find it now. so the jumpers have no function.
December 16, 2015 06:59PM
dc42
You will need to add an SD card socket to the RAMPS in order to get good print quality.

Hi, could you explain? Do you mean printing should be done from the SD card and not over USB? Would poor print quality result because the USB didn't pass data reliably? I'm just guessing why this might be because I obviously don't know sad smiley. Thanks.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
December 17, 2015 04:50AM
Garry Bartsch
dc42
You will need to add an SD card socket to the RAMPS in order to get good print quality.

Hi, could you explain? Do you mean printing should be done from the SD card and not over USB? Would poor print quality result because the USB didn't pass data reliably? I'm just guessing why this might be because I obviously don't know sad smiley. Thanks.

Yes. Some people report that using a dedicated host PC or RPi feeding the USB data to the printer, they can keep up the data fate sufficiently. Other people report that even using an RPi running Octoprint, they can't. The USB-over-serial without hardware or driver-level flow control is a piece of atrocious design (I suspect it wasn't designed, it just happened because that is all the Arduino Mega provides).

December 20, 2015 02:54PM
dc42
Garry Bartsch
dc42

Yes. Some people report that using a dedicated host PC or RPi feeding the USB data to the printer, they can keep up the data fate sufficiently. Other people report that even using an RPi running Octoprint, they can't. The USB-over-serial without hardware or driver-level flow control is a piece of atrocious design (I suspect it wasn't designed, it just happened because that is all the Arduino Mega provides).

Thank you for writing. Sorry for my delay.

I connect to my Mendel90 from PC over USB and I have very rarely experienced interruptions. My understanding was these disruptions were caused by a earth/ground loop (?) and I didn't realize it could be insufficient data rate.

Does RAMPS possibly receive data more slowly than the Melzi that comes with the Mendel90?

I plan to use RAMPS on my new machine (convenience and price) but because of a disability I can't be transferring an SD card back and forth.

December 20, 2015 04:56PM
Garry Bartsch
I connect to my Mendel90 from PC over USB and I have very rarely experienced interruptions. My understanding was these disruptions were caused by a earth/ground loop (?) and I didn't realize it could be insufficient data rate.

Does RAMPS possibly receive data more slowly than the Melzi that comes with the Mendel90?

I plan to use RAMPS on my new machine (convenience and price) but because of a disability I can't be transferring an SD card back and forth.

The disruptions I was referring to are short pauses that increase the printing time and cause print quality issues ("pause zits"). How much they affect you will depend on what else (if anything) the host PC is doing at the time (which in turn is affected by which operating system it is running), how fast it is, what host program you run on it, how fast you are printing (faster = more pause zits), and how complicated the shape is (curves are more problematic than straight lines). A RAMPS should not be any worse than a Melzi in this respect. However, for your situation I suggest Duet electronics, because you can print from SD card and upload files to it at high speed from the web interface.

The ground loop that is usually formed when you connect a PC and a 3D printer via USB is indeed a common source of more serious interruptions, i.e. print hanging or controller resetting. To reduce the risk, connect the printer and the PC and nothing else to the same power distribution block, and make sure the USB cable has a ferrite bead on it. Controlling the printer over Ethernet instead of USB avoids the issue, because connecting a printer and PC via Ethernet does not create a ground loop. This is an option with most 32-bit controller boards, but not with RAMPS.

January 03, 2016 03:46PM
Majority of people print using arduino mega and ramps combo just fine. It is still the Best supported solution with the most options anywhere. Also some descriptions for common people to understand by now.

Most people do not experience pauses or problems printing using USB. I print using SD or USB from raspberry with Astroprint. I don't much like octoprint to be honest.

There are lots of exciting still new controllers around like the duet and smoothieboard and clones. Problem is lack of support if you want to do something not standard.
Example: unless you are firmware ninja you are stuck with just 1-2 types of displays on duet where one is very clunky and expensive (the touch thingy).

Can't really use PT100 sensors on much aside from ramps unless you are... A firmware ninja.
Pt100 is the new go to sensors.

Duet is based on 3.3v or at least I can't use 5v stuff like expander boards and other normal displays. I find this...odd?

Right now I'm just using my ramps and waiting for prices for smoothieboard v2 which is all pure 32bit and not just Marlin ported to a 32bit platform.
Also waiting for details on sensor support on the new smoothieboards v2.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 04, 2016 01:17AM
dc42
The disruptions I was referring to are short pauses that increase the printing time and cause print quality issues ("pause zits"). How much they affect you will depend on what else (if anything) the host PC is doing at the time (which in turn is affected by which operating system it is running), how fast it is, what host program you run on it, how fast you are printing (faster = more pause zits), and how complicated the shape is (curves are more problematic than straight lines). A RAMPS should not be any worse than a Melzi in this respect. However, for your situation I suggest Duet electronics, because you can print from SD card and upload files to it at high speed from the web interface.

The ground loop that is usually formed when you connect a PC and a 3D printer via USB is indeed a common source of more serious interruptions, i.e. print hanging or controller resetting. To reduce the risk, connect the printer and the PC and nothing else to the same power distribution block, and make sure the USB cable has a ferrite bead on it. Controlling the printer over Ethernet instead of USB avoids the issue, because connecting a printer and PC via Ethernet does not create a ground loop. This is an option with most 32-bit controller boards, but not with RAMPS.

I guess I have been very lucky never to have experienced those pause zits. I really appreciate the way you explained the issues. I'm not ready yet for electronics so have more time to gather info. Best regards ..

January 04, 2016 02:00AM
Garry Bartsch
I guess I have been very lucky never to have experienced those pause zits. I really appreciate the way you explained the issues. I'm not ready yet for electronics so have more time to gather info. Best regards ..
The problems with pauses and such really isn't an issue anymore. I havn't done a proper analysis about the subject (obviously), but I don't ever see people complain about it anymore. Not here or anywhere.
Seems the "newer" arduino 2560 r3 + ramps 1.4 combo eliminated those issues.

I even have my USB cable bundled along side my motor-cables, sensors and powerlines without any problems to show 1 year later.

I AM in the market for new electroncis boards as I'd like to push what my printers can do, but ramps 1.4 is still a very good way to go for new people. I could say go for a China clone 32bit, but I really don't much like how they just copy designs without giving anything back, so can't really endorse those.

I have been looking much at Duet 0.8.5, which is a very fine board. It just have some limitiations which isn't compatible with my usage scenarios (choice of display and sensors + not true 32bit firmware and 3.3v instead of 5v for add-on boards.)

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
January 04, 2016 04:07PM
dintid
I have been looking much at Duet 0.8.5, which is a very fine board. It just have some limitiations which isn't compatible with my usage scenarios (choice of display and sensors + not true 32bit firmware and 3.3v instead of 5v for add-on boards.)

You've got it wrong, RepRapFirmware IS true 32-bit firmware.

Sure the PanelDue costs more than the cheap RepRapDiscount and similar displays, but:

- it beats the hell out of those cheaper displays, with colour, on-screen keyboard, print finish time estimation etc.
- it doesn't drain the CPU time the way those displays do (try running a 12864-based display with Arduino/RAMPS/Marlin on a delta to see what I mean)
- it connects to the electronics using a simple 4-wire cable without the cable length restriction of other displays
- you can choose your display size
- it just works - whereas I see a lot of people on these forums having problems with the contrast setting and the firmware configuration for the RRD-type displays.

I've just reduced the price of PanelDue display controller boards and I hope to have a US distributor soon.

As for 3.3V add-on boards, modern sensor chips like the MAX31855 thermocouple IC and the MAX31865 PT100 chip are 3.3V chips, so they interface much more easily to a Duet than to a 5V board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 04:35PM by dc42.

January 06, 2016 07:43AM
Just regarding the prices... From China one can get MUCH cheaper overall solution - with all the downsides of the China production, of course.
Like:
- Mega 2560 R3 for 5.64EUR
- RAMPS 1.4 board for 4.04 EUR
- 5 stepper drivers including heatsinks for 5.47 EUR
Overall cost of 15.15 EUR.

Just take care about the fuses and the power source winking smiley
January 06, 2016 07:15PM
rklauco
Just regarding the prices... From China one can get MUCH cheaper overall solution - with all the downsides of the China production, of course.
Like:

The sad thing is that an all-in-one board with a 32-bit processor, proper USB port, four or five properly-cooled driver chips (not useless stick-on heatsinks) and an adequate 5V regulator would cost significantly less to produce in the same numbers than that Arduino/RAMPS/drivers combination, and should therefore cost even less than 15.15 EUR. But we're stuck with Arduino/RAMPS at the low-cost end until customers demand something better.

January 07, 2016 02:36AM
dc42
rklauco
Like:

The sad thing is that an all-in-one board with a 32-bit processor, proper USB port, four or five properly-cooled driver chips (not useless stick-on heatsinks) and an adequate 5V regulator would cost significantly less to produce in the same numbers than that Arduino/RAMPS/drivers combination, and should therefore cost even less than 15.15 EUR. But we're stuck with Arduino/RAMPS at the low-cost end until customers demand something better.
Customers DO demand something better, but seems the EU/US manufacturers fails to understand what it is consumers want.

RepRap Pro died beause of it. Not because of deflating 3D market, but because they FAILED to understand the majoriy of people do not want a 3D printer in order to make a second 3D printer. Nor do they want flimsy printed parts, but something slick like aluminum, dibond or similar. Also needs to LOOK good. Not some davinci machine. Those days are over.

Most people actually do NOT want an RJ45 plug... we want wifi.

Consumers do not want crimp-on solutions. We want either screw terminals (I do know some drawbacks here, but then scale them as needed for bed) or preassembled wires. At the very least a bundle of the needed connectors MUST be included, as it is impossible to find for normal people.
Normal people do not own a crimping Tool anyway. If they do get a crimping Tool it is a real chore to do unless you are an Expert at it (I own one and crimp a good deal for Work and in private)

Consumers do not want to be force-fed 1 or display. We want options.

Consumers gets confused by the new 3.3v of some 32bit boards as all the aux options for Ramps are 5v,so for normal people it Means they can't port to new hardware.... and can't even find aux options for the new hardware - like PT100 and thermocoupler amplifier boards.... it MIGHT be possible somehow, but I havn't found that out yet, and I have asked and searched around a lot. (think3dprint3d and asked youdc42) - you might even have answered, but not in a way a normal non-Electronics person can understand.

Ramps have it's drawbacks for sure, but it is unbeatable in its versatility.

Edit:
BQ is one Company that has evolved with its Hephestos. It was originally with lots of printed parts, where people could replicate it relatively simply.
Now they have this very sleek aluminium machine, Yes, you can't print it anymore, but the current consumerbase doesn't care about it. They want stability and something that looks and feels nice as well.
It's still Open Source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 02:50AM by dintid.

January 07, 2016 04:41AM
dintid
dc42
rklauco
Like:

Customers DO demand something better, but seems the EU/US manufacturers fails to understand what it is consumers want.

RepRap Pro died beause of it. Not because of deflating 3D market, but because they FAILED to understand the majoriy of people do not want a 3D printer in order to make a second 3D printer. Nor do they want flimsy printed parts, but something slick like aluminum, dibond or similar. Also needs to LOOK good. Not some davinci machine. Those days are over.

Most people actually do NOT want an RJ45 plug... we want wifi.

Consumers do not want crimp-on solutions. We want either screw terminals (I do know some drawbacks here, but then scale them as needed for bed) or preassembled wires. At the very least a bundle of the needed connectors MUST be included, as it is impossible to find for normal people.
Normal people do not own a crimping Tool anyway. If they do get a crimping Tool it is a real chore to do unless you are an Expert at it (I own one and crimp a good deal for Work and in private)

Consumers do not want to be force-fed 1 or display. We want options.

Consumers gets confused by the new 3.3v of some 32bit boards as all the aux options for Ramps are 5v,so for normal people it Means they can't port to new hardware.... and can't even find aux options for the new hardware - like PT100 and thermocoupler amplifier boards.... it MIGHT be possible somehow, but I havn't found that out yet, and I have asked and searched around a lot. (think3dprint3d and asked youdc42) - you might even have answered, but not in a way a normal non-Electronics person can understand.

Ramps have it's drawbacks for sure, but it is unbeatable in its versatility.

You have some good point there, but I'll take you up on a couple of them:

- In their Ormerod 2 and Fisher kits (and I suspect their Duet-based Huxlety and Mendel kits too), RepRapPro did supply premade cables.

- 5V electronics is on the way out because most new chips are 3.3V. For example, if you want to connect a thermocouple chip to a RAMPS using a digital interface (which is more accurate than using an analog interface), you need to find a thermocouple amplifier board using the discontinued MAX6675 chip, because the newer MAX31855 chip is 3.3V only.

- Connecting a thermocouple to a Duet has been possible for a while, you need a MAX31855 board (readily available on eBay for a few £ or $) and Dan Newman's fork of RepRapFirmware. My latest fork also includes his thermocouple code.

Connecting a PT100 to a Duet using a digital (not analog) thermocouple interface board will soon be possible, using a MAX31865 board such as this one [www.ebay.co.uk]. I have one on order so that I can add the necessary support to RRF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 04:43AM by dc42.

January 07, 2016 08:31AM
re 5v vs 3v... level shifting boards are a "dime a dozen"...

(ok really $1USD for 4 lines )

This is really not an issue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 08:32AM by Dust.
January 07, 2016 09:09AM
Dust
re 5v vs 3v... level shifting boards are a "dime a dozen"...

(ok really $1USD for 4 lines )

This is really not an issue
It is when the cheap board fails to down the 12-24v input to 3.3v and just puts full load through and it just blows the Electronics.

In any case, such extra stuff is just not a viable way to do Things if you want to grab new customers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login