Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan Extender on AUX pins? (using DuPont cables between pins and extender)

Posted by dintid 
Fan Extender on AUX pins? (using DuPont cables between pins and extender)
February 11, 2016 03:45PM
Asking this to be sure before making a potentially silly/costly mistake.

I'm using MightyFan on the servo pins but have need of some additional controls and planned on using a plain old Fan Extended I used previously.

I just figured I'd use cables to hook up the Fan Extender to the right pins on AUX1, but then I started wondering if there was something special about the servo pins aside from pin location?

I'm no good at reading schematics to find this answer myself.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Re: Fan Extender on AUX pins? (using DuPont cables between pins and extender)
February 11, 2016 09:20PM
The main problem you'll run into is that the servo pins are PWM-capable, while the pins in the AUX-1 header are not.

You can still use them to control a fan extender, but you'll only be able to set them to on or off, nothing in between.

Pins D0 and D1 may be the same pins used for serial communication with the PC, although I'm not entirely sure. If they are, you won't be able to use those pins - so try the lower two pins (D57 and D58) first.

Hope that helps!

I'm the owner of Aus3D, an Australian business that aims to make 3D printing more affordable for all. We've recently launched our new Mark2 3D Printer Kits - check them out!
Re: Fan Extender on AUX pins? (using DuPont cables between pins and extender)
February 12, 2016 01:06AM
Chris-Aus3D
The main problem you'll run into is that the servo pins are PWM-capable, while the pins in the AUX-1 header are not.

You can still use them to control a fan extender, but you'll only be able to set them to on or off, nothing in between.

Pins D0 and D1 may be the same pins used for serial communication with the PC, although I'm not entirely sure. If they are, you won't be able to use those pins - so try the lower two pins (D57 and D58) first.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. That was a very clear and usefull answer smiling smiley

Guess I'll move my LED to the AUX sexction with an additional step-Down in there to make room for the final adjustable fan.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login