Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

make separate motor voltage line for ramps

Posted by farseer86 
make separate motor voltage line for ramps
March 09, 2016 02:41AM
hi all,
in my case, I have 2 stepper which run at 9 volt and 0.8amps. My stepper driver is A8825.
i can connect 2 stepper in parallel and run on standard RAMPS at 12v. This will draw 1.6Amps.
but I just want to know is it possible to connect them in series and run on 24V, 0.8amps if i modify ramps as follow.
I check the wiring for stepper driver and find they have a pin for motor voltage. It is currently have a male pin, faced down to connect to the RAMPS.
I will remove it , replace by male pin faced up, so it wont connect to RAMPS and i can put 24volt here to supply to stepper.

please advice me the possibility.
thanks
Re: make separate motor voltage line for ramps
March 09, 2016 04:09AM
I've done that and it worked well. To be clear, you have to raise both pins, Vmot and GND.
March 09, 2016 10:08AM
@24volt that driver will run very hot. Setting the reference voltage is harder to do.
March 09, 2016 11:24PM
thanks you very much for reply.
I'm now not yet finish my printer, this is good for knowleage .

Frans@France , I check the popolu site, they guild to limit current by ref. voltage. so i think, using this method should not have problem with motor voltage. The stepper get too hot may be your current limit too high?
April 01, 2016 12:35PM
i want to do the same thing, separate power line for motors, please tell us how did it go, did it worked?
April 17, 2016 05:15AM
NB note the 100uF capacitor between VMOT and GND, make sure its voltage is greater than the working voltage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 05:16AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login