Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help connecting Universal Gcode Sender

Posted by rfresh737 
Help connecting Universal Gcode Sender
March 21, 2016 10:14PM
Newbie here to 3D printing. I have Prusa i3 from Folgers Technologies (clear acrylic frame).

I want to try sending some gcode commands to my RAMPS 1.4 board to issue a G28 command to set new X Y Z 0 positions. But I can't seem to get a prompt when I connect. I start with $$ but get a dialog saying the RAMPS is not finished booting. I've waiting 5 mins but still can't issue any commands. I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using Universal Gcode Sender 2.0.

I have my end stops setup and working but each time I finish printing somethings the Y axis drives towards the end stop and hits it (it activates and I see the red end stop light come on) but the stepper continues to try to keep moving for about 2 more secs before finally stopping. So I'm thinking maybe I need to reset my zero axis references?

Thanks for any help...
Re: Help connecting Universal Gcode Sender
March 22, 2016 04:06AM
version 2.0 is Nightly builds, beta software

Maybe try a stable version like 1.0.9

I don’t know of anyone using that on a reprap... I would use proterface at this stage, its known to work well

Re endstops... particularly the Y axis people wire it wrong...
a standard I3 type design, the Y min endstop is at the back, the Y max is at the front. Make sure you set your firmware to match your hardware, also ramps has different pins for min and max endstops, make this match also.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 04:13AM by Dust.
March 22, 2016 10:54AM
I just saw the Gcode text field inside Repetier...so I will just use that...thanks for the tip on Universal Gcode Sender nightly builds.

Which end should I have my Y end stop? The front or the back? When I home, the bed moves towards the front where my Y end stop currently is mounted. This is to bring the printed item towards me after it is finished printing.

So I should check my RAMPS config.h file for the Y end stop pins?
March 22, 2016 04:47PM
Which end is up to you

But if its at the front then its a Max endstop and has to be plugged into the max endstop plug and configured to home to max

ie in marlin firmware you need to set #define Y_HOME_DIR 1

Now if when you home it goes the wrong way you need to invert direction of movement, by either turning your stepper plug around 180 degrees or find #define INVERT_Y_DIR and change from true to false or false to true depending on what you have their currently

(NB normal movement Y+ the bed should come forward, and Y - the bed should move back)

There should be no need to play with pins.h

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 04:49PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login