Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't control fan using Reprap Ramps 1.4 RRD Fan Extender

Posted by Stigi 
Can't control fan using Reprap Ramps 1.4 RRD Fan Extender
April 11, 2016 12:41PM
Hi!

After spending hours and hours going through the search results on the Googly thing, flashing the firmware and trying stuff out, I don't know what to do. I'm using a Fabrikator Mini bought from HobbyKing, and I'm trying to add a software controlled fan using the Reprap Ramps 1.4 RRD Fan Extender. Fabrikator Mini uses a MKS Base v1.3 board, although I've seen another Mini with a 1.4 board. Anyway. I've tried M42, M106, M107 and whatnot, but the fan is always on at full speed. According to the almighty interwebs, servo pins should consist of all digital pins (at least D2 and D4), but mine has D12, D11, A12 and A11. A pins are probably analog, so they can't provide PWM, and PWM is all I want.

What do I need to do to get it working? eye popping smiley
Re: Can't control fan using Reprap Ramps 1.4 RRD Fan Extender
April 18, 2016 12:15PM
Anyone? smiling smiley
April 18, 2016 04:36PM
Have you tried asking the person. You saw using it?

Do I understand correctly that it is not on a ramps board but on an MKS base mini? If so, you might want to ask in controllers and not in Ramps forum

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
April 19, 2016 07:20AM
Hi! Thanks for your reply! None of the instructions I saw online matched my configuration, so I thought asking the authors wouldn't help.

It's an MKS board, but I thought RAMPS is something MKS uses too. yawning smiley I'll ask in another section. Thanks!
April 19, 2016 07:56PM
repeated here, since you don't seem to be looking at your other cross posts asking the same thing.

So apparently you have one of these [github.com]
As all earlier board don't have a servo type connectors

D12 and D11 are both PWM pins

M42 P11 S255 and M42 P12 S255 should work

You have wired the expanded correctly? Ie the two pins go to 12v and the 4 pins in a row are for the two fans ?

Update... I see the issue

If you compare the ramps servos pins to the MKS BASE pins you will see gnd and +5v are reversed

ie [reprap.org]

On a ramps the pins for each servo are data pin,+5v and gnd
On the MkS BASE is data pin, gnd then 5v

This board will not work by directly plugging it in to a MKS BASE board

So im guessing whats happening is you have lifted the ground to +5v so the fan is trying to run on 7v (12v - 5v = 7v)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2016 08:09PM by Dust.
April 20, 2016 07:52AM
Dust
repeated here, since you don't seem to be looking at your other cross posts asking the same thing.

So apparently you have one of these [github.com]
As all earlier board don't have a servo type connectors

D12 and D11 are both PWM pins

M42 P11 S255 and M42 P12 S255 should work

You have wired the expanded correctly? Ie the two pins go to 12v and the 4 pins in a row are for the two fans ?

Update... I see the issue

If you compare the ramps servos pins to the MKS BASE pins you will see gnd and +5v are reversed

ie [reprap.org]

On a ramps the pins for each servo are data pin,+5v and gnd
On the MkS BASE is data pin, gnd then 5v

This board will not work by directly plugging it in to a MKS BASE board

So im guessing whats happening is you have lifted the ground to +5v so the fan is trying to run on 7v (12v - 5v = 7v)

I didn't find a way to delete this thread so I'm actively checking both threads. I already replied to your post in the other thread, but to be clear, the fan is definitely running at 12 V. I know a 12 cm fan running at 12 V when I hear one. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 07:52AM by Stigi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login