Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magic smoke from RAMPS

Posted by Veesta 
Magic smoke from RAMPS
October 01, 2016 04:26PM
Now, i know that electricity works with smoke.
Because when smoke comes out, electricity will not work anymore.

So, how do i put smoke back in the wires?
It must have some compression ratio 'cause such a small wire has a lot of smoke inside.

grinning smiley
VDX
Re: Magic smoke from RAMPS
October 01, 2016 07:20PM
... this was too much current through the contact surface of the wire and the clamp.

It's regularly "smoking" with soldered flex-wire ends, when not retighted regularly, as the solder flows under pressure away and the surface start to oxidize and rise contact resistance, what starts to heat -- better use end splices ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 03, 2016 08:49AM
eBay sells new (built and ready) RAMPS board around 4-6€

Has the price really come down so much or are these just made from the cheapest parts possible?

IIRC, my RAMPS was around 15€ about a year ago.

Even full Arduino + RAMPS + stepper drivers + display kit is dirt cheap compared what those kits cost when i had my parts. eye popping smiley
October 04, 2016 04:01AM
You need beefy headers for the heated bed connections. 10A is a lot of current. The cheaper RAMPS will use cheaper components, so you maybe you are better of removing the header and soldering the wires directly. Also make sure the bed movements do not propagate to the RAMPS, solder connections with repeated movement isn't great either.

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
October 04, 2016 11:13AM
brupje
You need beefy headers for the heated bed connections. 10A is a lot of current. The cheaper RAMPS will use cheaper components, so you maybe you are better of removing the header and soldering the wires directly.
i desoldered those terminals, but unfortunately foil on the board came loose. sad smiley
Gave it a "mental middle finger" and bought a replacement.
I'm keeping my original RAMPS for spare parts.

Also make sure the bed movements do not propagate to the RAMPS, solder connections with repeated movement isn't great either.
Agreed.
I have found a nifty way to protect soldered connections from moving too much.
I use rubber gasket sealant, which is commonly used in car engines.
Really good stuff. smiling smiley

In this case i have replaced 5V SMD regulator on Arduino board with 7805 regulator.

"Just hangs there like balls" grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login