Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps to pas a signal to RepetierHost for pause ?

Posted by Replace 
Ramps to pas a signal to RepetierHost for pause ?
January 22, 2017 12:00PM
Can I configure a pin on the RAMPS, to accept 12V when my filament runs out, in a way that Repetier Host will pause the print ?

Has that been done ? What pin can be used and what should be the Repetier firmware code ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Ramps to pas a signal to RepetierHost for pause ?
January 22, 2017 12:17PM
No pin on the RAMPs will directly accept a 12v signal. 5v max.

You need to put what ever your using signal threw a voltage divider to drop it to an acceptable voltage.

see [electronics.stackexchange.com]

For your firmware look at jam detection

[github.com]

So set #define JAM_METHOD 2

you also need to set

/** Pin which toggles regularly during extrusion allowing jam control. -1 = disabled */
#define EXT0_JAM_PIN -1

set this to the input pin used.

/** Pull-up resistor for jam pin? */
#define EXT0_JAM_PULLUP false

set this if needed (switches that only connect signal to gnd need this, anything that actually sends a +5v signal doesn’t need this)
January 24, 2017 12:28AM
Thank you,
I wil look into these parameters and see if I can make it work.

Can I take a constant 5V somewhere from the board and rout it to the filament-out switch back to the jam detect input pin ?
Or do I really need to make the 5v myself ?

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 24, 2017 04:07AM
Replace
Can I take a constant 5V somewhere from the board and rout it to the filament-out switch back to the jam detect input pin ?
Or do I really need to make the 5v myself ?

The endstop plug on a ramps is 3 pins S (signal), GND, and 5V.

If what ever you using to detect filament of lack there of can use 5v and doesn’t use to much current (no motors, servos, coils, electric magnets or solenoids)
Then you can use this 5v.

But

It sounds like you just using a switch to detect filament out. This doesn’t even need additional power. (just like endstops with two wires)

Wire the switch from signal to gnd. And enable the pullup on that signal pin in firmware.
Preferably using the NC (normally closed) connectors of the switch (less prone to false signals)
Then when the switch is not triggered the input will see 0v, when the switch is triggered the input is internally pulled high (via that pullup you enabled) and will see 5v

now set your #define JAM_METHOD 2

ie from the table:
/* Define how we detect jam/out of filament
1 = Distance between signal changes increase
2 = signal gets high
3 = signal gets low

So when the switch is triggered the input will see +5v (high) and the firmware will know that filament is out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 04:09AM by Dust.
January 24, 2017 11:59AM
currently ,
I am designing a little piece, through which the filament is routed. When routed , the lever of a microswitch (with a bearing roller) will be pressed. When the filament runs out, It will be depressed.

Based on the microswitch, I can either close or open when the state changes. So the 5v from the endstop is easy sent to the S pin.

I have only implemented the home switches for x, y and z, so I can choose any of the others ?

So, I think can get that electrics to work,

But,

How to convince the Repetier Host to step into Pause mode ?

My desire would be to have Repetier Host go into Pause mode and home the x-axis.
(So I can replace filament and hit the resumebutton ?)

January 27, 2017 01:27PM
I seem not to be able to locate the Jam detection parameters.
Which file of the arduino sketch set should it be in ?

Bytheway: I just printed my sensor mount for the detection of filament - out:

Nice eh ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 01:43PM by Replace.

January 27, 2017 07:51PM
in file /src/ArduinoAVR/Repetier/Configuration.h
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login