Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help selecting steppers for a RAMPS setup

Posted by hexitex 
Help selecting steppers for a RAMPS setup
February 18, 2011 12:00PM
Hello,

I am very new to this lark and have zero understanding of electronics but jumped in the deep end and decided (well advised) to go with a RAMPS based solution. Problem I have is knowing what is compatible when purchasing parts. looking at this site list of nema 17 step motors I am not sure what would be best to drive a mendel on the axis's and extruder? Any help would be welcome - other suggestions for European based suppliers is also welcome.

thanks
rob
Re: Help selecting steppers for a RAMPS setup
February 22, 2011 02:09AM
You want motors with around 0.44Nm of torque (4.2kg.cm, 62oz.in), and a voltage rating of 1-3 volts so the chopper driver has plenty of overhead. You can use motors with less torque for the axes, but the extruder really likes a very strong motor.

From the motors on that page, I think the last one (ST4209L1704) is the best match, and ST4209S1404 should work for the axes if you don't mind getting different types of motor in one order, and don't mind having to use a particular one in your extruder, and don't mind not being able to get really high speeds. Remember if you're making a prusa that you need two steppers for Z

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Re: Help selecting steppers for a RAMPS setup
February 22, 2011 10:41AM
Thanks Triffid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login