Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

killed RAMPS?

Posted by Arved 
killed RAMPS?
February 28, 2017 07:27PM
Hey,
after printing a case for my Arduino/Ramps 1.4, and a full re-wiring, including adding plugs and proper connectors to most wires instead of just twisting them together and fixing it with tape, I started my printer and the display didn't do anything. Only the extruder fan, which is hardwired to the power input, started working. If I try to connect pronterface, it says this:

Connecting...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "printrun\pronterface.pyc", line 1053, in connect
File "printrun\pronsole.pyc", line 720, in connect_to_printer
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 46, in inner
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 208, in connect
File "encodings\utf_8.pyc", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xfc in position 103: invalid start byte

If I turn the printer off and move the axis around to get some power induction, it's the same.

So I guess I either killed the complete ramps board, or there's just an issue with my power supply. Any other Ideas?
Re: killed RAMPS?
February 28, 2017 07:52PM
tested the power supply, both pairs get their ~12V, Polarisation looks fine.
March 01, 2017 04:10AM
There is an Elephant sitting on the reset button of Arduino. I can clearly see him on every picture you've attached winking smiley
[/sarcasm off]
March 01, 2017 07:28AM
o_lampe
There is an Elephant sitting on the reset button of Arduino. I can clearly see him on every picture you've attached winking smiley
[/sarcasm off]

fetched the elephant and brought it back to the zoo. arduino still doesn't start \=
March 01, 2017 12:46PM
found out I somehow fried the voltage regulator. Found this tutorial for fixing it:

[www.instructables.com]

also, I got the endstops wired incorrectly.

so, for now I'm running the Arduino with a USB power plug like for smartphones until my order of voltage regulators arrives.

I'll leave this here for others to find.
March 02, 2017 03:44AM
You'd have to remove "D1" on RAMPS too to be able to use 5V from USB and 12V from RAMPS.
Attachments:
open | download - ramps_D1.jpg (395.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login