Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End-stop Questions: Techzone optos or mechanical & RAMPS

Posted by epengr 
End-stop Questions: Techzone optos or mechanical & RAMPS
March 14, 2011 12:35PM
Hi,

I'm getting the parts together for my first reprap and I'm trying to figure out what to do for end stops.

I'm building a RAMPS electronics set, and finding in-stock opto's is tricky.

Techzone has some, but I don't know if they're compatible with RAMPS, does anyone know?

What about mechanical end stop, or limit switches, like these? Digikey has them for $0.62 each. There are many other similar switches, I didn't spend time looking for the optimum one for the purpose of this post. What wiring / firmware changes might be needed to make this work (I'm sure someone must have done this)?
Re: End-stop Questions: Techzone optos or mechanical & RAMPS
March 14, 2011 12:43PM
they will work there is going to be a vcc, gnd and sig wire, what would make a difference is if they are normally open or normally closed. you would just have to set your firmware settings accordingly.

i have got a reply back from [ultimachine.com] he says he should have them back in stock this week for the endstop kits.

i do wish i could tell you what was more accurate though i have always wondered about that my self.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 14, 2011 01:17PM
As far as I can tell with mechanical end stops the only ones that need to be very good, i.e small are on the z-axis, I have fitted 6 to mine 4 big bulky ones on the x and y and two smaller ones from ultimachine on the z-axis. They are not working yet as I still need to understand what setting I have to make in firmware, so I am running on software which isn't good as that has no memory for obvious reasons.

Please, if anybody can give me clear instructions on what to set for NCC mech endstops I would forever be in yur debt

Cheers
Rob
March 14, 2011 02:47PM
Here's what I've learned about mechanical endstops:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Endstop (<- this was oddly hard to find)

And some more information here: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?151,75606,75891,quote=1

I haven't digested it all yet, but it may help. The second link has some RAMPS specific information.

As for what's more accurate - that'd be complicated. Switches could be more or less accuarte depending on the switch. We have some precission plunger style limit switches where I work used to aligning optics. I think they'd beat the optical switches but they're $160 each. Mechanical switches can wear old or, if they have a lever, bend. I would guess that the exact trigger point for optical stops could depend on lighting condition, temperature and dust contamination.

There're never easy answers...
March 16, 2011 02:27AM
I've wire up switches on perforated bread board with little trouble. You only need five components:

Required parts
Part ID Part name Quantity
R1 10k Ohm Resistor 1
R2 220 Ohm Resistor 1
R3 1k Ohm Resistor for LED 1
LED1 3mm LED 1
X1 3 pin 5.08mm pitch screw terminal or header pins1
Opto Switch 1

[reprapsource.com]
March 16, 2011 12:53PM
thats 7 smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login