Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nothing gets to work with a very large scale 3d printer

Posted by Osama 
Nothing gets to work with a very large scale 3d printer
July 27, 2017 08:06PM
Hello fellows,
I built a 1.8 m X 1 m X 1 m XYZ FDM robot based o RAMPS1.4, Arduino Mega, and Marlin 1.1.4.
Every thing was going very nice meanwhile but recently everything went crazy !!

what exactly happens is as follows:

1- System resets after about 4 hours of working which my still in the first layer. I increased the cooling on the board and I felt like I have solved it.
2- the next thing was that it stopped resetting but it halts for a period that can't be controlled ... suddenly the LCD looses the texts and readings and the printer pauses for ever !!! I still didn't find a solution but I replaced all the electronic components with newer ones !!
3- when I used to print successfully on this machine I printed two 9 hours simple prints but the only damned problem I faced was to level the bed !!!!! I can't do it and everything fails .. Bilinear leveling doesn't compensate .. Unified thing can't be even initiated and I still can't make the Mesh leveling. I would suggest discussing the leveling in a nother topic as I face the same problem with the desktop versions !!
4- Now I can't start printing as I receive the thermal runaway error and the system then halts and I can't print !!

What do you suggest??
thanks in advance,

Osama
Re: Nothing gets to work with a very large scale 3d printer
July 28, 2017 02:23AM
I can only imagine that the firmwares timeout limits are exceeded with such long single traces. That's why you get thermal runaway messages and such...

I can't help with bed leveling, but I can imagine it's a nightmare to level such a big bed.
I'd go for 32bit controller to get a more reliable printer. (eg. more probe points possible due to bigger RAM )
8-bit Marlin is always "on the edge" of failure it seems. And more features mean more problems.
VDX
July 28, 2017 04:02AM
... some of your problems could be caused by communiction errors -- cheapisch USB-cable ... or too long ... or EMI ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 28, 2017 09:17AM
It is difficult to to troubleshoot a problem without seeing. 1200 X 1200mm large format 3D Printers work fine on marlin.

First you could have EFI problems make sure that all controller cables are separated from LCD cabling.
As most EFI problems occur when the stepper motor signals cross feed into the the LCD control wires.

Meaning that your stepper motor wires should not be near your control wires referring the end stop, proximity sensor, filament run-out sensor, and LCD wiring.
Shielding can be used on long runs to contain EFI, RFI and EMI interference.

And running the stepper motor wiring up one leg of the stand and the control wiring up another could solve your problem.

Can we see a image of your Custom built 3D Printer. Might help in troubleshooting, include controller/lcd area. As control wires close the the Stepper motor drivers can cause problems.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 10:43AM by Roberts_Clif.
July 29, 2017 02:07AM
I always make braided wire harnesses for my steppers.
July 29, 2017 10:17AM
o_lampe
I always make braided wire harnesses for my steppers.

If you eliminate the obvious on your 3D printer, this leaves you only the unobvious.
Read this post about how I discovered the problems on two of my 3D Printers.

One short video included where I remove the shielding to duplicate the noise problem.
I have a time table that shows exactly what time the errors occur jump to those time slots.
[www.3dprintingforum.us]

I had only a single ribbon cable crossing my controller cards that caused most of my problems.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2017 10:30AM by Roberts_Clif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login