Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would a RAMPS 1.4 benefit from a chipKIT Max32?

Posted by HugoW 
Would a RAMPS 1.4 benefit from a chipKIT Max32?
September 11, 2017 12:48PM
Hi,

I am setting up Marlin on my RAMPS 1.4 set-up and I try to read a lot about it. I have off board upgraded drivers (NEMA 23 motors) which can handle a lot smaller microsteps than 1/16th. Also I am looking into adding presicion with 0.9 degree stepper motors and I would like to speed things up once I have it printing decently. All this will ask a lot of the processing speed of the Arduino Mega. Now I stumbled across the chipKIT Max32 :
[www.eetimes.com]

This caught my eye:

Would switching that for the regular Mega give me the computing speed I need for more steps and more speed? Or is Marlin / Arduino aware of the Mega's limitations and won't it allow us to use it at a higher speed that what the Mega can handle?

Cheers,

Hugo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:51PM by HugoW.
Re: Would a RAMPS 1.4 benefit from a chipKIT Max32?
September 11, 2017 01:44PM
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is; just found a piece on the Arduino forum the Marlin would require a major rewrite and the RAMPS would need some voltage mods to make it all work. No plug and play at all, hardly 'compatible'. Bummer....

Hugo
Re: Would a RAMPS 1.4 benefit from a chipKIT Max32?
September 11, 2017 04:12PM
There are already plenty of 32-bit alternatives to Arduino/RAMPS for those who need more performance, along with firmwares specifically written to make good use of 32-bit processors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 04:12PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login