Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer shifting after switching stepper drivers

Posted by Schild0r 
Layer shifting after switching stepper drivers
December 17, 2017 04:20AM
Hey there
I just switched my X and Y stepper motor drivers from A4988 to TMC2100. But now I experience layer shifting (only in Y direction).
- I set the TMC drivers to spreadCycle Mode
- I set the motor current first to 0.7 A which was what the A4988 were set to

Then I got layer shifting and therefore set it to 1 A and reduced the Acceleration to 1000mm/s^2 (2000 max) and jerk to 10
The motor is getting pretty hot now (55°C) but I stil have layer shifting.
What can I do now?
Re: Layer shifting after switching stepper drivers
December 17, 2017 05:23AM
Have you also tried to reduce the motor current?

I recently had a similar problem and it turned out that the driver chip got too hot. So it was the chip's thermal protection that shut the motor off for short moments, thus causing the layer shifts. I reduced the current ... and (...so far...) I have no more layer shifts.
December 17, 2017 06:53AM
I started at about 0.55 A and got the shifts there too (but already in the second layer) and then increased it to .7 and then 1 A
Maybe I should have tried something at .85...
I will do another test with 1 A and when I get a shift I will feel if the chip is too hot.
I also marked the positions of the pulleys on the rods so I can see if these get loose somehow during the print.

I also read that then TMC2100 drivers can run a continuous current of 1.25 A and I got passive + active cooling on them so I did not consider them overheating yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 06:57AM by Schild0r.
December 17, 2017 12:03PM
So tried it again with 0.55 A on the x Axis and 0.7 A on the y Axis and I got a shift again as you can see in the pic on both axis after 2 hrs of printing.
Drivers werent hot at all and motors were a little warm... So what do Indo now?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20171217_175802.jpg (92.9 KB)
December 18, 2017 02:33AM
Did you notice any difference, when you switched the drivers to stealthChop? There are two TMC2100 versions and the white PCB requires soldering some bridges on the backside ( and remove the jumpers completely ). There are more datails in the general forum in a dedicated TMC2100 thread.
December 18, 2017 06:15AM

Did you notice any difference, when you switched the drivers to stealthChop?
Thats a good point! I wasnt sure about which jumper would be the first on my board so I tried both possibilities but did not notice any difference.

I did not know there are two different versions I just read that it would not be necessary to install a solder bridge but if that is only true for the black ones this makes sense. (I got the whites btw)

So am I right that with the white ones no matter which jumpers I connect, it will run the less powerfull stealthChop mode and I have to install a bridge from cfg1 to gnd in order to run spreadCycle? (note that I am using a mks gen l board)

Can you supply the link for the thread you are referring to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 06:28AM by Schild0r.
December 19, 2017 02:06AM
So i just wanted to solder the two pads but I noticed, that the TMC2100 I bought are the Version 1.3... they have two additional solder pads on the board. And I found out, that the cfg1 pin is not connected to either of them (but the cfg3 pin is connected to the pads next to the cfg3 pin) Does that mean I cannot run them in spreadCycle at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 02:07AM by Schild0r.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20171218_235600.jpg (122.2 KB)
December 19, 2017 03:34AM
Thats new to me, but might be solved with a multimeter.
You just have to ignore the ms1-ms3 pins and beep out the solder pads and the pins of the controller chip directly. Maybe some pads are routed to GND or VCC, but each one must pair up to a pin on the chip.

I had a datasheet for reference, but can't find it. It might be linked to the TMC_pitfall thread....
December 27, 2017 05:52PM
I have exact the same issue, cfg to ground or not... same result. V1.3... Anyone got any further on this ?
December 28, 2017 04:04AM
It seems V1.3 is faulty. I wouldn't be surprised to see V1.4 coming soon.
Anyway, claim this issue on the makers help-desk. Ask for the meaning of solder pads that seem to lead nowhere....
December 28, 2017 04:29PM
Sadly.... I don't speak Chinese grinning smiley

Might remove the 3 CFG pins from the driver, make the GND-CFG1 connection and give it one more try....
January 04, 2018 07:14PM
I have three v2 Chinese tmc2100 running xyz and one v3 running the extruder.

I found it best to pull all jumpers under the driver and make no other mods.
I then set all the drivers to .8v and had some layer shifts and extruder skipping, I brought each one up a bit until things got stable.
my lowest is .95v and my highest is 1.41v that's my extruder. It gets warm, 40c or so, but everything works well. XYZ stepper motors stay fairly cool.

heat sinks on the drivers and a 120cm fan over the controller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 07:15PM by JustSumGuy.
January 05, 2018 04:56AM

heat sinks on the drivers and a 120cm fan over the controller.

WOW, thats a huge fan winking smiley grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login