Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstop wiring?

Posted by matheustorres 
Endstop wiring?
January 11, 2018 08:45AM
Hello, I read in some places that you should never plug the endstop wires on the VCC, but my endstop has 3 wires, should I cut off the + wire or am I not going to have any problems with that? I already fried one arduino and I think it was because of that
VDX
Re: Endstop wiring?
January 11, 2018 10:15AM
... depends on your endstop - mechanical switches don't need +5V, opto-endstops do ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 11, 2018 11:14AM
Mine is the standard mechanic one, if I cut down the red wire it should be no problem then?
Attachments:
open | download - mechanical-endstop-for-reprap.jpg (60.6 KB)
January 11, 2018 11:15AM
If you fried your Arduino chances are you plugged the end-stop connector in backwards. Three pin end-stops normally have an led as a visual indicator of the end-Stop being pressed.

I use a Three pin end-stop as the Filament run sensor to visually see an filament detection. Why because that is what I had when I made the Filament run-out Sensor.
VDX
January 11, 2018 12:03PM
... it seems, in your "mechanical" endstop the +5V is needed for the pull-up ... if your inputs aren't configured with own pull-ups, then the won't work without the +5V.

But even if you cut the +5V and place the plug backward, the switch will short the +5V and GND on your board, so it regardless will wreck the 5V-regulator ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 11, 2018 12:40PM
Only plugging it in backwards could blow the internal 5V regulator the switch will short the +5V to ground.

Resistors in parallel

Controller Pull-up resistor = 4.7K Ohms
End-Stop Pull-up resistor = 10K Ohms

RT = 4700X10000/4700+10000 = 3197 Ohms 5V / 3197 = 1.56ma

1.56ma additional current will not blow the internal 5V regulator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login