Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My second arduino go fried, please help

Posted by matheustorres 
My second arduino go fried, please help
January 21, 2018 05:40PM
Hello , like I said before, my first arduino got fried probably because of the endstop, now the second time I plugged all the connections correctly and before turning the power supply on I noticed that my arduino was not getting recognized by my PC, it only got connected when I pressed down the endstop, and if I take of the endstop connection, the arduino connects normaly and when I plugged the power supply on, it started smoking just like last time, now if the endstop is connected, the arduino only works when I press it, and if it is not connected, it works normaly, what could be the problem? Can my ramps be damaged? Should I buy a new arduino? Buy new ramps? Cut off the + wire from my endstop?

Edit: I started trying some combinations and found out that: Sometimes when one endstop is connected and I plug in the USB, it works.
Sometimes when there are two endstops connected and I plug in the USB, it works and sometimes it doesn't
So when I vary the combinations sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't,

No matter the combination, when I plug the power supply, nothing works

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 05:58PM by matheustorres.
Re: My second arduino go fried, please help
January 21, 2018 06:03PM
Some endstops are configured normally closed. So the switch is closed when the switch is not pressed and opens when it is pressed.

There is still something seriously wrong with your endstops, they are shorting 5v to gnd.

Please take a photo of your endstops and the wires coming out of them
and a photo of your ramps board how you have the endstops plugged in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 06:03PM by Dust.
VDX
January 22, 2018 05:31AM
... check for shorts on the endstop-PCB's or better measure the resistance of the SIGNAL vs. GND (or +5V vs.GND) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 22, 2018 07:47AM
When I get home I will post a picture of my wiring.

VDX, should I test for short between the S and + and S and - from the endstops?
January 22, 2018 08:24AM
By the way, can this short affect the RAMPS or is it safe?
VDX
January 22, 2018 09:38AM
... if it's drawing too much current, the +5V regulator will burn ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

VDX
January 22, 2018 09:41AM
... you can deplug the endstops and measure the endstop pins ... or, when plugged, then measure the voltage on the pins when open ... and measure an eventual voltage drop of the +5V, when the endstop is closed ...

Viktor
--------

January 22, 2018 01:14PM
Hello, so now that I got home I started to figure out what combinations were causing problem and it turns out that only when endstop X is connected that the arduino does not get recognized by usb , and it only gets recognized when I trigger the X endstop, so here are my questions:

Should I cut off the + cable from all endstops?
Should I buy a new RAMPS?
If I buy a new endstop , can I still use the fried arduino? Because from my understanding only the LCD screen doesn't work because of the 5V regulator?

I attached the file with my endstop wiring when the short happened
Attachments:
open | download - WhatsApp Image 2018-01-22 at 4.05.36 PM.jpeg (152.9 KB)
January 22, 2018 01:14PM
Hello, so now that I got home I started to figure out what combinations were causing problem and it turns out that only when endstop X is connected that the arduino does not get recognized by usb , and it only gets recognized when I trigger the X endstop, so here are my questions:

Should I cut off the + cable from all endstops?
Should I buy a new RAMPS?
If I buy a new endstop , can I still use the fried arduino? Because from my understanding only the LCD screen doesn't work because of the 5V regulator?

I attached the file with my endstop wiring when the short happened
Attachments:
open | download - WhatsApp Image 2018-01-22 at 4.05.36 PM.jpeg (152.9 KB)
January 23, 2018 03:25AM
You can run all microswitch endstops without the +wire. But then you don't see their LED.
The burnt arduino needs a permanent USB connecting to run or another 5V supply attached to the 5V pins on RAMPS.
The RAMPS board won't need to be changed. It didn't get stressed by the shortcut. But it's always good to have a spare one and arduino/Ramps bundles are often cheaper than both boards bought separately.
January 23, 2018 05:14AM
So if I buy a new endstop and plug the arduino permanently to my PC, it should work all fine?
January 23, 2018 01:00PM
Turns out that all the connections were OK, what was shorting out is that I directly put the endstop with a ziptie and 2 endstop connections were in contact with the metal rod causing a short....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login