Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternating layer height

Posted by hexitex 
Alternating layer height
April 16, 2011 09:28AM
Hi me again,

I am having an issue with height and have discovered that when printing there is a issue with power to the z motor every other z adjustment, I have tried various firmwares and they all seem to have the same issue. I have swapped around drivers changed pmeter untill my power supply shuts down with under current protection but nothing resolves it. My x y and e drivers are all at about 25% so i don't think upping the pmeter is what is needed. Seems if I slow down the print it is not so bad but the 20mm cube does'nt seem to move at all where as the 40mm tower has the alternating issue at 16mm/sec. I can't find anything on a search so figured this is a ramps issue?

attached my two gcode filesfiles.zip
Re: Alternating layer height
April 16, 2011 09:55AM
Is this from Skeinforge? You maybe going too fast on the z-axis. Did you turn on the Limit option? A limit of z of around 1 mm/s would be a good start.
April 16, 2011 10:05AM
The layer heights look fine in your Gcode, and I'd expect solid state electronics to be pretty consistent (barring marginal connections). Perhaps dirty or bent Z axis screws causing lost steps, or some other mechanical sub-optimality.
April 16, 2011 11:57AM
Solved,

brnrd, your a gem thank you. Didn't spot that setting on the z for limit and it was turned off. Once again thanks. Thanks Dale, the machine is quite free on the z-axis.

cheers
rob
April 16, 2011 01:04PM
I know you say this is solved but I just thought I would add that your Z must be some what tight. Mine was tight and I had to limit the speed to 75mm/s until it was loose and now it moves at 150mm/s. The transition between layers is so fast that I get almost no ooze. It may only be possible because I am using teacup and it has acceleration.

brnd pointed out these are actually mm/m (mm per minute) not mm/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 03:53PM by Sublime.
April 16, 2011 01:24PM
Seriously? Your z stage moves at 150mm /sec! my god that must mean that your stepper is running at 120 RPS or 7200 RPM! You sure about that?
April 16, 2011 02:30PM
Your math looks to be correct and that does seem impossible but like I said it has acceleration, so it starts at 0 and ramps to 150mm/s but for only .4mm per z stage move so its just a burst of movement. I would imagine it does not reach the full speed in that short of distance. Any movement over 10mm will overheat the pololu driver running at 75%. I know how hard this is on the driver but I slowly increased the speed until it would move as fast as possible to make the ooze as little as possible. Also the gearing on my z stage is 1:1 on nc20 rod and I only run it at 1/2 stepping.

This is a line from the gcode I generate:
G1 X11.14 Y4.36 Z3.8 F30000.0 E0.0245

And these are my config settings:
/// used for G0 rapid moves and as a cap for all other feedrates
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_X 2000
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_Y 2000
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_Z 150
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_E 250

/// used when searching endstops and as default feedrate
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_X 100
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_Y 100
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_Z 75
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_E 30

I guess this means we can no longer talk about feed rates the same with acceleration.
April 16, 2011 02:56PM
@hexitex - you're welcome.
@sublime - The units in the firmware code is in mm/min, not mm/s. So your firmware limit is 2.5 mm/s which is still pushing it but more reasonable. But did you actually check to make sure it can move this fast throughout the whole range of z-axis movement? Your x and y max is on the slow side. It can easily go at 3000 mm/min and higher. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 03:55PM by brnrd.
April 16, 2011 03:50PM
@brnd
Thank you for straightening that out for me (and likely others). It really make me wonder why the default settings in teacups ramps config is set as follows:

/// used for G0 rapid moves and as a cap for all other feedrates
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_X 200
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_Y 200
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_Z 100
#define MAXIMUM_FEEDRATE_E 600

/// used when searching endstops and as default feedrate
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_X 50
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_Y 50
#define SEARCH_FEEDRATE_Z 1
// no SEARCH_FEEDRATE_E, as E can't be searched

I feel kind of stupid, I just assumed they were mm/s because that's what the gcode produces and the default sizes being 200mm/s made more sense than 200mm/m that's just stupid slow. After increasing them 1000% I thought there was something weird going on. And yes my z/stage can move at the 2.5mm/s second except the driver overheats and goes into protection mode after about 10mm so I just don't auto home the Z and its no problem. As for the other speeds being slow, they are not moving nearly as fast as possible. I have only been printing for one week and I'm still tweaking settings. Once I get it printing accurate sizes I plan on printing a new extruder, my current extruder is bodged together from old printer gears and only has 2.35:1 gearing so I don't have enough torque to extrude any faster which then limits my other axis speeds.

Any idea why we use mm/s in one place and mm/m in others, it seems really.........ummmm....

[geometricobjectdepositiontool.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 03:55PM by Sublime.
April 16, 2011 04:01PM
I think g-code, which came from the CNC world, specifies rates are specified in mm/min. But Skeinforge uses mm/s. I don't know why that is. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login