Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to find source for RAMPS

Posted by NathanB 
Trying to find source for RAMPS
April 29, 2011 02:19PM
Hi -

As Utilimachine is sold out of all of their RAMPS stuff, I'm looking for another source for this. Are there any other suppliers that people know of? If not, is there anyone out there who can print up a RAMPS shield?

Does anyone know the Bill of Materials for RAMPS in English? I can see on the Wiki where they have it for a German supplier, but if it was only in english, then I could just place my order with Mouser or Digikey or someone instead - provided that I could get my hands on a PCB...

What I'd really like is the kit on UtiliMachine called "RAMPS Full DIY Kit" - I don't want to go fishing around the 'net making multiple purchases from multiple vendors for my electronics and hoping that the pinouts on everything play nice...

Thanks for any responses!
Re: Trying to find source for RAMPS
April 30, 2011 10:30AM
You can find the BOM on the Ultimachine website. Look at the RAMPS DIY Kit and you will see the components listed. They sell the components there on their page also, and it's cheaper than Digikey and Mouser. So I encourage you to buy them there.

As for the PCB, the files are available on the RepRap wiki for anyone who wants to run boards. www.4pcb.com seems to be a reputable service. Granted, you'll need to make multiple boards to get the cost down, but I'm sure you would not have any trouble $elling them, as they are in high demand right now.

It sounds easy, but navigating even the simplest board service is confusing, even for me. They want Gerber files. And not just one, noooo. You need the masks the silk screen the drill the vias, the pads... You see my point?

I'm going to go by Orvac today and picking up some copper-clad boards and etching kit. It's not the easiest way, and it's not the cheapest way, but it's good for the soul.
April 30, 2011 11:06AM
So, big question is: does anyone in the community have these files to share??
I'm thinking I might actually try to work up the necessary files and post them on the wiki...
It would play havoc for the vendors out there, but then they're never in stock...

If anyone has worked on this (or better yet, done it already themselves) please hit me up.
May 01, 2011 12:38AM
The gerber files are produced from the board files. I believe Eagle is the format. I'm just saying that it's a bit of work to get boards run. There is no need to post gerber files because they would need to be regenerated every time a change was made. Sometimes, the board house will ask you to change a feature dimension...
May 01, 2011 03:00AM
I do have ramps boards available. Check my ebay

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
May 01, 2011 10:02PM
Had the same issue and finished the BOM for the main board today.

It's here
May 01, 2011 10:32PM
Chris -Thanks a BUNCH! Will definitely help me and many others I'm sure!
February 28, 2013 11:57AM
Could one of you here help a novice understand how to get production for these boards? The RAMPS documentation has no gerber files, and I do not understand enough about it to ensure they are exported properly. Any help is appreciated.

Also has there been any solution to the <12V limitations on the BOM? I have bought RAMPS from 3 suppliers without problems running 24V so maybe they made a new BOM without updating the public documentation.
March 01, 2013 01:38AM
I never found the gerber files, but G3D files (http://reprap.org/wiki/G3D_driver) are infact uploaded very well. I can not find a BOM for 35V components though, it is enough.

Since eagle files are converted to Gerber on demand, I made the following 10 gerber output files, strictly from RAMPS_1-41. Does anyone have the skills to view these and tell me if they seem correct? If so I will upload it to the RAMPS wiki.

Thanks.

Also as far as connectors go, the lions share of the cost is due to .1" female pin connectors. I wonder if there is a way to lower costs there.
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS_1-41.zip (270.3 KB)
March 02, 2013 12:30AM
the .1" female pin connectors? 20$USD per 1000, = 2cents each. the plastic casings? about 2$ per 50...

so 3$ is the bulk of the cost? I'm confused.
March 02, 2013 02:52AM
Simba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since eagle files are converted to Gerber on
> demand, I made the following 10 gerber output
> files, strictly from RAMPS_1-41. Does anyone have
> the skills to view these and tell me if they seem
> correct? If so I will upload it to the RAMPS
> wiki.

Those don't look like the right files to me. I use [gerbv.geda-project.org] to check Gerber files. I don't use Eagle much, but there is a good guide here [hackaday.com] BatchPCB has a pretty good automated checking service, although I only used them a couple of times, very long delivery time for me.

Generally I use [imall.iteadstudio.com] and keep the board size less than 100x100mm, RAMPS is slightly large so I would trim the board slightly.

> Also as far as connectors go, the lions share of
> the cost is due to .1" female pin connectors. I
> wonder if there is a way to lower costs there.

.1" connectors seems to be overpriced at the big suppliers like RS, Digikey, but they are much cheaper at other suppliers. Even ordering from China via ebay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 02:53AM by bobc.
March 14, 2013 03:01PM
Do yourself a favor and use OSH Park. Just upload the Eagle .brd file and they generate everything for the PCB's on-site.

Just omit the polyfuses and make sure that the caps are rated for 35V.

$47.50 for 3

And their boards are pretty phenomenal.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - large_i.png (234.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login