Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New RAMPS design

Posted by MrAlvin 
Re: New RAMPS design
January 29, 2019 04:35PM
If you Like i now have a new Oscilloscope should have moste of the componments here, and can have a look on the PCB
Do you have two ore more sided PCBs? is ther a repositorry I havend found one
February 04, 2019 01:49PM
i could do some testing wih arduino mega tmc2130 and my new oscilloscope:-)
February 06, 2019 10:07AM
kabelfrikkler
If you Like i now have a new Oscilloscope should have moste of the componments here, and can have a look on the PCB
kabelfrikkler
i could do some testing wih arduino mega tmc2130 and my new oscilloscope:-)

Hi kabelfrikkler,
thank you, that would be great.

kabelfrikkler
Do you have two ore more sided PCBs?
I use double sided PCB. As one of the original design goals were to keep it simple and low cost.
But perhaps the oscilloscope will show us that improvements are needed.

kabelfrikkler
is there a repository I havend found one
There is no repository - yet.
From the start I knew that I might be quite slow with this development, and I knew that several iterations would very likely happen, and I did not really want to have to try to deal with several preliminary designs.
I also wanted to wait with the release, until the design were in such a state that I were happy with it. Meaning that it did not have any faults, that I would consider serious faults.

So for the few people who have so far done some testing, I have simply shared the design files with them only.
And I hope they will eventually eliminate the early versions, and replace them with the final version 1.0 (or as I hope the 1.7C will be) - and I intend to assist with this elimination process, by sending them the updated (and final version).

I think I already have your address, so I will send you a pcb later today.
As I still only have the version 1.7B as PCB, this is what I will send you, and once I get the 1.7C, then I can send you one of those. okay?

Or would you rather want to wait until version 1.7C?
February 27, 2019 04:16PM
I looked through the thread and I can't find exactly what changes 1.7C entails. But given I made this mess attaching just two TMC2130's to my board, I'm very interested in RAMPS 1.7! Definitely interested in testing my own board once the design stabilises.
March 03, 2019 09:45PM
RX14
I looked through the thread and I can't find exactly what changes 1.7C entails.

Hi RX14,
there are about 35 minor or major differences between version 1.7B and 1.7C

- The main difference is, that the board grew from 8x10 cm to 10x10 cm. And this allowed for a number of changes where a bit more space were given to sections that had previous been there, but had been rather cramped.

- Some electrical changes have been made, like: use of a resistor in series with the signal, to make some input pins 5V or 24V tolerant.

- Some solder jumpers have also been added, so it is fairly simple to use the board, not only with Mega and DUE, but also with Re-ARM or boards like the SAME70-XPLD or possibly the new "Grand Central board" from Adafruit industries.

For changes needed to be used with the Re-ARM board, there are however about 20 solder jumpers that needs attention, and the solder jumpers are VERY small, so I have found it very difficult to make cuts where they are needed. For this reason I simply made a board, where I had made all those changes in the layout software, and the board will be pre-destined, to be used with a Re-ARM board. Or any board that still have analoge inputs at the Arduino pins A13-A15.
My Re-ARM board did however only just show up today, so it will be some time before I have this part fully tested.

Other minor changes are:
- D70 and D71 are now available on the board
- there are 2 additional FAN ports, so 4-5 fans can now be controlled. Or LEDs or....
- some pin rotation has been made for A0 to A7, as these pins could potentially be used with TMC2208 drivers, as it is possible to assign interrupts to these pins on the Arduino Mega. And the current SoftSerial implementation seems to benefit from interrupts on Rx pins being available in the microcontroller.

RX14
But given I made this mess attaching just two TMC2130's to my board, I'm very interested in RAMPS 1.7! Definitely interested in testing my own board once the design stabilises.

Actually I do not think that is messy at all. Jumper wires are jumper wires, and they will always add a new layer of visual impression.
But I hear you: sometimes one just dreams of no-jumper-wire solutions :-)
March 05, 2019 06:10PM
MrAlvin
RX14
But given I made this mess attaching just two TMC2130's to my board, I'm very interested in RAMPS 1.7! Definitely interested in testing my own board once the design stabilises.

Actually I do not think that is messy at all. Jumper wires are jumper wires, and they will always add a new layer of visual impression.
But I hear you: sometimes one just dreams of no-jumper-wire solutions :-)

It'll definitely be a mess with all 5 drivers as TMC2130's! My wiring harness is pretty hard to extend with more drivers.

Count me in for testing out a 1.7C PCB though, sounds fun to assemble!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 06:21PM by RX14.
March 06, 2019 07:30AM
Count me in for testing out a 1.7C PCB. I can't imagine the fun of its assembly! and I'm actually building a customized core-XY 3D printer which I can test the design on.
btw I can build the PCB in-house for testing too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 07:57AM by nimanouri.
May 07, 2019 08:16PM
Hey,
I've been watching this project for a while and I'm really excited to do some real world testing on Arduino Due. I'm a software & hardware engineer and I have access to test equipment (digital scope, temperature & current probes, etc).
I can make my own board if required, is 1.7C PCB design available anywhere?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login