Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controller output issue

Posted by Cougar281 
Controller output issue
June 05, 2018 09:36PM
I have this controller that came with my Prusa i3 clone from CBot and transitioned it to the 'real' Marlin firmware not long after getting it. The original firmware simply wasn't right, and while the Marlin as configured, doesn't seem 100%, it's been doing fine for the most part. One thing I just noticed, is that it seems to not understand that there are two extruders, and I noticed that if I try to heat E1, it actually turns the fan on (I've never actually used the second hot end so far, and I don't have a good way to use the fan either). I have it set up as 'BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB'. The board is clearly marked with E0, E1, Bed and Fan outputs. How would I go about making it so the firmware properly addresses the proper outputs for E1 & the fan, as well as E0 and the bed?
Re: Controller output issue
June 05, 2018 10:22PM
The ramps only has 3 FETs, this board has 4 so BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB is not correct.

set motherboard to BOARD_MKS_13
June 06, 2018 09:03AM
Currently I have 5 similar controllers And have never found a fix for Marlin firmware that would address this delima. (of course have never needed)

So I too will try AND set motherboard to BOARD_MKS_13

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2018 09:30AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 06, 2018 10:11AM
Thanks - I will give that a shot when this print finishes. Funny thing is the firmware they sent me had it defined as 'MOTHERBOARD 33', which in that version of Marlin is 'RAMPS 1.3 / 1.4 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Bed)'. No wonder it went sideways with the original firmware too!
June 06, 2018 08:08PM
I quickly went through the code in the pins_MKS_13.h

* Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.4 adjusted pin assignments
* MKS v1.3 (Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.3 (Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.4 (Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.4 (Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed)

And the it call pins_RAMPS.h

I am confident that this is what will address the Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed for my Controller board.
June 06, 2018 08:18PM
Roberts_Clif
I quickly went through the code in the pins_MKS_13.h

* Arduino Mega with RAMPS v1.4 adjusted pin assignments
* MKS v1.3 (Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.3 (Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.4 (Extruder, Fan, Bed)
* MKS v1.4 (Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed)

And the it call pins_RAMPS.h

I am confident that this is what will address the Extruder, Extruder, Fan, Bed for my Controller board.

Sounds good - that gives me hope that it'll address mine too. My printer is currently 11 hours into a print with 1.5-2 to go - once that's done, probably tomorrow morning, I'll flash the new code to it and see what I get.
June 07, 2018 09:45AM
Cougar281
Roberts_Clif

Sounds good - that gives me hope that it'll address mine too. My printer is currently 11 hours into a print with 1.5-2 to go - once that's done, probably tomorrow morning, I'll flash the new code to it and see what I get.

Well I should restate because of this line.
// Power outputs EFBF or EFBE
#define MOSFET_D_PIN 7

The above Code labels it as (EFBF) Extruder, Fan, Bed, Fan or (EFBE) Extruder, Fan, Bed, Extruder. Only adding the extra Extruder to the end of the code line.

and If POWER_SUPPLY is specified, always hijack Servo 3 for PS_ON_Pin

#if POWER_SUPPLY > 0
#define SERVO3_PIN -1
#define PS_ON_PIN 4
#endif
June 07, 2018 10:04AM
I flashed the firmware this morning with 'BOARD_MKS_13' instead of 'BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB' and now everything's working as intended. The second hot end heats up when I tell it to (instead of the fan turning on lol) and when I tell the fan to turn on, it does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 11:10AM by Cougar281.
June 07, 2018 10:57AM
Thank you for the Information. I still have to decide how I want to install the second Extruder on the 3D Printer.

Still need to move the Stepper to the Top frame, then will connect to the hot-end using a bowden tube using something like this.

Will need to redesign to sit across a second Hotend Mounting Block.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 10:57AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 07, 2018 11:26AM
That looks like a nice, sturdy setup. I'd like to modify my printer so the build plate rides on rails like yours, rather than the 4020 extrusion and four plastic wheels. Not really sure of the best way to go about it though.
June 07, 2018 06:53PM
The 8mm Solid rods mounts are easy to 3D Print or design and 3D Print. You just need something to mount them too.

P.S. The previous post pictures were of the bowden mount someone else designed for a single extruder.
I will design a dual bowden Extruder mount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 06:58PM by Roberts_Clif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login