Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 external sd card

Posted by Kutulu 
Ramps 1.4 external sd card
June 22, 2018 10:15AM
Hello everyone, ive bought an external sd card connector for my ramps 1.4 board but i dont know where to connect it to. Can someone help me with this please?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20180622_160500-min.jpg (886.8 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_20180622-161337.png (915.1 KB)
Re: Ramps 1.4 external sd card
June 22, 2018 01:23PM

But you already have a sd card reader on your LCD.... and It has to plug into the same place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 01:26PM by Dust.
June 23, 2018 03:33AM
Looks like you have to split the ribbon cable and solder it to your external adapter.
June 23, 2018 05:18PM
What does your LCD board look like?

As has been mentioned, then your LCD adapter is already connected to the AUX-3 port, which is where you would normally connect the external SD card reader.
June 24, 2018 06:21AM
Could i just solder some connectors ontop of the lcd adapter at aux-3?
June 24, 2018 07:07AM
yes, but you need to change the SDSS line as that still goes to your old SD card reader.

Cant have two devices enabled at the same time...

On a stardard lcd this is D53
You can just move the SDSS line to another free io line on aux-2 and update your pins_RAMPS.h with the new pin.
June 24, 2018 08:24AM
okay so if i got that right i could plug the sd card reader to another AUX port and change the pins_ramps.h or i solder the connectors to the old sd card reader and change the SDSS (dont know what that is) line confused smiley
June 24, 2018 09:29AM
The latter

the sd card reader has to use the SPI bus, this is only available on ext3
ie the MISO, MOSI and CLK lines, you also need a cs or ss (chip select) and a gnd and 5v

The documentation on this sd reader is dreadful...

But Ive found the following pinout for the 8 pin port

1. +5V
2. DIG2
3. MISO
4. MOSI
5. SCK
6. CS
7. GND
8. DIG3

the pin out for ramps aux-3 is

so
ramps +5v goes to 5v on sd reader
ramps MISO goes to MISO on sd reader
ramps MOSI goes to MOSI on sd reader
ramps SCK goes to SCK on sd reader
ramps GND goes to GND on sd reader
finally cs on sd reader need to so somewhere, would recommend D66 on aux2

then you need to change pins_RAMPS.h SDSS pin... depends on what screen you have as to what area need changed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2018 09:30AM by Dust.
June 24, 2018 01:16PM
Dust
Cant have two devices enabled at the same time...

Very true.

But it is possible to connect the two card sockets in parallel. Then it just becomes vital that there is only one sd-card inserted in ONE socket at any time.

I am not sure if the OP wants both readers to work at the same time?
I don't know if firmware even supports this.
June 24, 2018 11:31PM
Suspect has a bad reader.. probably killed when they blew voltage regulator (in another post)

Didnt want him to cut tracks or have the old reader enabled in any way so moving cs is easiest.
June 25, 2018 01:31PM
I´m not really getting it what i shall do now, just try to connect both of them but only put the sd card into one reader?
I also want to add some TC2130 driver some day, as far as i know they also communicate through the spi port so how would that work out?
June 25, 2018 06:00PM
If something is wrong with the reader on the LCD (as Dust mentioned), then it is best to disengage that reader as much as possible. And only focus on the new reader.

Worry about the TMC2130 connections later. Solving one problem at a time is often the most efficient way to go.
June 27, 2018 05:50AM
So, one of the guys at my local hackerspace (also) expressed a need for an easy fix for attaching additional things to the AUX-3 (SPI) port, and he wanted to solder as little as possible to his existing boards,and he would like to use only jumper wires.
After some talk, I agreed to design a board that would meet his needs - and as it so happens, might also make things easier for you Kutulu.

This board connects between the RAMPS 1.4 board, and the LCD-wires board.

This board duplicates the AUX-4 port, as well as adds two more AUX-3 ports to your system. You do however get to chose which Ramps 1.4 I/O pins goes to the "D53" and "D49" pins of the added AUX-3 ports.

Using jumper wires, I/O pins from AUX-2 (or unused pins from AUX-4) can be channeled to the D53, D49 pins of the added AUX-3 ports.

I have ordered some of these boards, so you are welcome to have one of them, once they arrive at my location (should happen in 1-3 weeks).
But you might also want to simply order some boards yourself, so I have included the Zip file I have used to order these boards.
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS 1.4 AUX-3 (SPI) multiplier.zip (12.8 KB)
June 27, 2018 06:58AM
My sd card reader on the lcd works fine, i can print with it no problems. The lcd is just a little dark but i'll swap my arduino very soon.
June 27, 2018 07:01AM
MrAlvin
So, one of the guys at my local hackerspace (also) expressed a need for an easy fix for attaching additional things to the AUX-3 (SPI) port, and he wanted to solder as little as possible to his existing boards,and he would like to use only jumper wires.
After some talk, I agreed to design a board that would meet his needs - and as it so happens, might also make things easier for you Kutulu.

This board connects between the RAMPS 1.4 board, and the LCD-wires board.
[attachment 105789 multiSPI.jpg]

This board duplicates the AUX-4 port, as well as adds two more AUX-3 ports to your system. You do however get to chose which Ramps 1.4 I/O pins goes to the "D53" and "D49" pins of the added AUX-3 ports.

Using jumper wires, I/O pins from AUX-2 (or unused pins from AUX-4) can be channeled to the D53, D49 pins of the added AUX-3 ports.

I have ordered some of these boards, so you are welcome to have one of them, once they arrive at my location (should happen in 1-3 weeks).
But you might also want to simply order some boards yourself, so I have included the Zip file I have used to order these boards.

That looks interesting, with this board i can use tmc2130 drivers and an external sd card?
June 30, 2018 03:38PM
Kutulu
That looks interesting, with this board i can use tmc2130 drivers and an external sd card?
Yes, with this add-on board it is almost plug-and-play to do both TMC2130 and external sd card (and LCD sd-card) at the same time.

The TMC2130 needs the SPI signals (MISO, MOSI, SCK) and they are available at one of the extra AUX-3 ports.

The external sd card also needs the SPI signals, as well as a few Arduino I/O pins, for sd_select and sd_detect.

The SD card on the LCD needs the same signals as the extrenal sd card. And with this board it is quite simple to make the two SD card readers share the same Arduino I/O pins for sd_select and sd_detect (for this two solder jumpers needs to be connected), or to arrange for the external sd card to use different Arduino I/O pins for sd_select and sd_detect (just use jumper wires).
July 09, 2018 04:08AM
MrAlvin
Kutulu
Yes, with this add-on board it is almost plug-and-play to do both TMC2130 and external sd card (and LCD sd-card) at the same time.

The TMC2130 needs the SPI signals (MISO, MOSI, SCK) and they are available at one of the extra AUX-3 ports.

The external sd card also needs the SPI signals, as well as a few Arduino I/O pins, for sd_select and sd_detect.

The SD card on the LCD needs the same signals as the extrenal sd card. And with this board it is quite simple to make the two SD card readers share the same Arduino I/O pins for sd_select and sd_detect (for this two solder jumpers needs to be connected), or to arrange for the external sd card to use different Arduino I/O pins for sd_select and sd_detect (just use jumper wires).

do i have to change something in the firmware?
January 24, 2019 06:35AM
is there anyone who's do this board i need to see a picture of final project please
March 12, 2019 01:22PM
Done guys.

but i need help to place all pieces in the good places, help please
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login