Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing RAMPS changed Z speed

Posted by dggt6 
Changing RAMPS changed Z speed
November 05, 2019 08:25PM
Hello,
I have just swapped out my ROBO R1 Ramps 1.4 board for a new "generic" Ramps 1.4 board but the Z axis is now traveling too fast and too far.
Tell it to move 1mm and it moves 10mm. All other board functions are working as normal as they were on the original board. I changed boards as I believed the hotend mosfet was faulty/thermal runaway. This problem IS solved!

I have reuploaded the firm ware ( that was working fine yesterday on the old board) with no change.
My Z steps are still the correct 400 however if I change them to 100 the Z axis moves the correct amount and at a "normal" speed.

Has anyone any idea what may have caused this?
I believe I have swapped the cables and jumpers correctly, matching where they were from and using the same stepper sticks in the same locations.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Doug
Re: Changing RAMPS changed Z speed
November 05, 2019 08:40PM
Sounds like a Z micro stepping jumper is not set or not on correctly, or the jumper is defective.
November 06, 2019 01:44AM
Hello Dust and thanks for your quick reply.
Are these the 3 tiny little plastic bits under the stepper sticks?
I will replace the Z jumpers and let you know how I go.

Many thanks,
Doug
November 06, 2019 01:49AM
Yes that is them

It is possible that they are just not sitting right.
It is also possible the metal inside the plastic housing is missing
November 06, 2019 04:24AM
Thats IT!
Changed the 6 jumpers for new ones, reloaded the firmware with 400 steps and BINGO she works!!smiling bouncing smileysmiling smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Thank you very much for your spot on excellent advice and diagnosis.

Cheers,
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login