Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2130 problems

Posted by sxrguyinma 
TMC2130 problems
January 01, 2020 01:11PM
Hi guys,
I recently installed a set of TMC2130 v3.0 drivers from BigTree Tech onto my RAMPS 1.4 board. They're all set up for SPI and used the included harness to connect it all then made single jumpers to connect the diag pins of the X and Y to the board for sensorless homing. I have an LCD so I had to re-assign the pins, no big deal. I also added a BL Touch at the same time.

The problem I'm having is the motors seem to run perfectly normal with normal travel moves. When I try to home though they just buzz and vibrate and don't do anything. I'm pretty sure I got the RMS current set properly, I used the Teaching Tech YT video on calculating the current. I've tried raising and lowering the current to no avail. The X and Y just buzz and trip the sensorless homing. The Z buzzes until I tap the BLtouch sensor then it raises slowly and drops slowly until the sensor is hit again.

Once the axes are all homed I can move them in Repetier or with the LCD and they move fine - smooth and silent. It's just homing moves that seem to be the problem. Any ideas on where to start to get this sorted? The printer is a Folger Tech 2020 i3, stock motors.

Also this isn't a big deal, more of an annoyance - is there a way in the LCD firmware to get the rotary encoder to act normally? By normal I mean rotate clockwise to increase the value/move the cursor up. It feels backwards now being that you rotate it counter-clockwise to raise the number.

Thanks in advance
Re: TMC2130 problems
January 01, 2020 10:41PM
What kind of firmware are you using?

Do you have regular end-stops installed? So you can test the homing response when you use the regular end-stops?
January 01, 2020 11:07PM
homeing has different max feedrates and even different vrefs with TMC2130's

How have you set these?
January 04, 2020 06:34PM
MrAlvin
What kind of firmware are you using?

Do you have regular end-stops installed? So you can test the homing response when you use the regular end-stops?

I'm currently using Marlin 1.1.9. I do have regular end stops but I don't have them connected. I'll get them hooked up and see what happens.

Dust
homeing has different max feedrates and even different vrefs with TMC2130's

How have you set these?

All I did for setup was what I got from the Teaching Tech YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUadiW5QLBE) on setting up the TMC2130's. He makes a point that you have to set with the RMS current rather than the peak current so that's how I set it up in firmware.
April 11, 2020 08:07PM
Ok so I got it mostly working. Y homes normally as well as Z but I have a BLTouch on Z. X however won't home - or rather it triggers a false home. I had to change the sensitivity on the Y axis from 8 to 19 to get it to work properly but no matter what I change X to it just moves a couple mm then stops and thinks its homed. I can keep hitting the home X button and it'll just keep doing that until it actually crashes. If I pull off the wire that connects the X driver to the X endstop it'll move until it crashes or I put the wire back on so it's doing something.

*The VREF's are all set via the pots on the drivers and they're set using the RMS current rather than the peak current (-10%).

*I've flipped the X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING and same for Y to true - they were both set to false. Teaching Tech says to do this in his video.

*The driver type for X, Y, Z and E0 are all set to TMC2130 and not commented out.

Any ideas what might be going on with the X axis?
April 16, 2020 08:42PM
Well I've tried everything I can think of. I even pulled the x motor and tried the homing with nothing attached and it does the same thing. I know the SPI is working correctly because if I take the diag pin off the X endstop pin it'll move until it crashes and keep going. Once I reattach the pin the motor will stop and say homed.

I'm running out of ides here and slowly losing my mind over it lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login