Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm having another one of my moments >:@

Posted by Ollie 
I'm having another one of my moments >:@
June 12, 2011 09:02AM
This is pretty obvious, but what are the two connections highlighted in this schematic for? (X1-1 and X1-2 ?) Sorry for teh crude paint highlighting winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS1_2schematic 1.png (51.7 KB)
Re: I'm having another one of my moments >:@
June 12, 2011 09:42AM
smiling smiley

Those are the +12V and ground power connectors. If you hold the circuit board so that you can read the silkscreen labels, it will be the lower left corner below the screw terminals for the power MOSFETs.
June 12, 2011 02:42PM
I still don't think i follow, :/ So there the 12v input and ground? If so, what are the 3 pin 12v and the 3p ground?
June 12, 2011 05:33PM
Just look at this picture of the PCB:

assembled RAMPS 1.2

In the down-left-corner: the +12V and ground and another 3 +12V and ground above for alternative power supply connection. Pin headers support only up to 3A each, so you need more than one port to power the RAMPS with at least 5A.

GammaRay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 05:38PM by GammaRay.
June 12, 2011 06:04PM
Ah thanks, I think I get it now!
June 13, 2011 01:13PM
GammaRay
In the down-left-corner: the +12V and ground and another 3 +12V and ground above for alternative power supply connection. Pin headers support only up to 3A each, so you need more than one port to power the RAMPS with at least 5A.

I don't know what those additional pins are meant for but they are directly connected to the +12V supply and ground. You can see this in the picture of the PCB traces: [reprap.org]

I don't think you need to use those 6 pins to power the RAMPS. The connector shown on the picture of the assembled RAMPS (http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPS_wiring_diagram.png) should be all you need to supply 5 A.
June 14, 2011 02:35PM
Thanks, hopefully I don't have any similar repeats in the future XD
June 19, 2011 05:04AM
The ramps source file are Eagle. Install the free version, go to schematic, use the eye icon to highlight some part of schematic, switch to board, the part you highlighted on schematic will be highlighted on board also.
Press I icon from information on a track, and will tell you its name, usually supplies have names like gnd, or +5V or V+, etc.
This way you will find lots of other answers by yourself.
June 19, 2011 07:38AM
me
I don't think you need to use those 6 pins to power the RAMPS. The connector shown on the picture of the assembled RAMPS (http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPS_wiring_diagram.png) should be all you need to supply 5 A.

I installed RAMPS this past week and I used the 3 ground pins to make sure that the 10+ amp going through the heated bed had a good return path. To be safe, I also soldered a thick wire between the power MOSFET and the pins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login