Problem with RepRapDiscount Smart Controller - Marlin
May 28, 2020 04:43PM
Hi,

I have self-made 3D printer assembled and I started to configurating Marlin. I have issue with RepRapDiscount Smart Controller, more precisley with launching it. I've configurated Marlin by following guides on the Internet (according to instructions I've found it requries only to uncomment one line '#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER' and it should works just fine, and several another lines to f.e. enable SD card support but to display anything this one line should be eoungh). Despite this screen still does not work. I've tried to switch connectors- in the wrong way first and third line have all pixels on (like on the foto) and in the other layout screen does not working at all, even backlight is off (although buzzer emits sound when I press the button and I have impression that menu is working itself but it doesn't display anything)- like in the second picture. I have only RepRapDiscount Smart Controller connected to RAMPS 1.4 on Arduino Mega, nothing more. In my opinion the are two possible capabilities why it doesn't work. First: RepRapDiscount Smart Controller is broken and I can by a new one but secondly and more likley I've done something wrong in Marlin and that's the reason of my problem. I attach 'Configuration.h' Configuration.h I haven't done anything in other Marlin files.

Thank you in advance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2020 04:45PM by Brodacz.
Re: Problem with RepRapDiscount Smart Controller - Marlin
May 28, 2020 05:22PM
This has come up several times and could be corrected by the contrast control on the rear.

My controller however had a different problem.
I have two different 2004 LCD and one has the Pins reversed from the other.
The top 2004 display has its key on the lower side of the connector and connect 90 degrees from the controller board.

This is shown in hte photo below

The lower 2004 display key is clearly visible and is parallel with the controller board.
Note that my original 2004 Controller in the lower display and when it stopped a replacement was necessary.
I purchased to top 2004 display, then had to make my own cable because the pin-out is reversed between the two boards.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 28, 2020 06:17PM
There are two LCD adapter board for ramps. one has the plugs facing left, the other is facing right.
These are normally sold with the LCD and match the LCD....
The issue more comes into play when you not using the adapter but have a controller with onboard LCD plugs. that may be reversed compared to what your your LCD requires.
May 29, 2020 09:41AM
Dust
There are two LCD adapter board for ramps. one has the plugs facing left, the other is facing right.
These are normally sold with the LCD and match the LCD....
The issue more comes into play when you not using the adapter but have a controller with onboard LCD plugs. that may be reversed compared to what your your LCD requires.

Thank you for the information DUST.

Though I do not under stand the photo below, It clearly shows on the silk that the connectors are placed with the notches down.

And if you refer to my photo it came with the notches down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 09:47AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
May 29, 2020 10:43AM
I checked conector, they are placed right. I think that I just got a broken one. As my borad was new I managed to send it back to seller. He'll send me back another one- Full Graphics Controller, hope there won't appear same problem. I've already downloaded 'u8glib' library which can be cause of problems using Full Graphics. Returing to the topic, Robert Clif the borad on the first photo of your respond has wrong name, it's 'RepRapD1scount Smart Controller, so it must have been really cheap copy. Guess that's the reason why the nozzles are up side down. I won't close the topic yet, I'll wait until another controller comes to me. If it won't work, I'll continue topic.
Thanks guys for help smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 10:44AM by Brodacz.
June 01, 2023 03:01PM
Hi,
I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login