Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troubleshoot a defective RAMPS

Posted by tpeyron 
Troubleshoot a defective RAMPS
April 08, 2021 08:58AM
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there are any guidances to troubleshoot a burned RAMPS, in order to repair it.

In fact, I've burned the only one I had, while building a 3D printer. I wanted to check the voltage on the axilary pins, and I made a short circuit.

I see no traces of any damage on the board, and I don't know either how to test the differents components.

Is there any way someone could help ?

Happy printing,

Geeetech Prusa i3 pro B
Building my own 3D printer

Happy maker in Madagascar !
Re: Troubleshoot a defective RAMPS
April 08, 2021 06:16PM
how about listing some symptoms?

but there is actually very few components on the ramps. Its mostly sockets a few caps and the mosfets.

Bull ramps details is on the wiki [reprap.org]

If your having any 5v power supply problem, that is on the mega, not the ramps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2021 06:17PM by Dust.
April 09, 2021 02:32AM
@Dust, thank your for the reply.

Here is what I can tell about what happened (It's a RAMPS 1.6) :
- I wanted to measure the voltage on those pins (blue rectangle, see picture bellow), but my probes touched, and I made the short circuit.

- Right after the event, my computer went into some sort of security mode, and the LCD of the printer (Reprap discount smart controller) was blinking, but unable to boot correctly.

Since then, I've tried a couple of things :
- When powered from the USB cable, the board seems OK, since the LCD boots normally
- When powered from the USB and the 12V supply, with everything mounted on the board, the board enter into some kind of loop, where the LCD is blinking.
- I've tried to plug each element of the printer gradually, and it looks like the Y axis is defective. The motor is fine, since I've tried to move in with another port.

Any guess ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 02:33AM by tpeyron.
VDX
April 09, 2021 02:40AM
... most likely the +5V regulator on the Arduino is wrecked ... maybe burned pins (the shorted) too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 09, 2021 03:05AM
@VDX thanks for the reply.

I've looked more closely to the Mega, and I found a little blob on a component :

It turns out to be the IC REG LINEAR 5V 800mA SOT223. Would it be the problem ?
April 09, 2021 10:10AM
yes, that is a very common fault when you short out 5v
April 09, 2021 12:45PM
Would it means that my RAMPS board is fine, and only the Arduino is defective ?
VDX
April 09, 2021 05:12PM
... if you replace the 5V-regulator (or source external +5V), then the board will run ... eventually recheck the involved pins, if they are OK ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login