Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12V 20 ohm Heating Mat

Posted by unialpha 
12V 20 ohm Heating Mat
September 14, 2021 10:44AM
Hey guys, I'm having trouble when connecting this heating mat to my printer:

[uk.rs-online.com]

it's 12V so I connect it directly to the D8 port in the RAMPS board. The problem is that although it should be able to reach 300ºC according to the datasheet, I am only able to heat it up to 50ºC with the printer. I think it might be do to its resistance (20 ohm), since heating cartidges are usually 10-15 ohm, so this mat needs more current. In case my hypothesis is right, is there a way to supply it with more current? I mean with the RAMPS itself, I know I could install an external mosfet.

#define PID_MAX is already set to 255

Thank you smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 10:44AM by unialpha.
rq3
Re: 12V 20 ohm Heating Mat
September 14, 2021 11:10AM
unialpha
Hey guys, I'm having trouble when connecting this heating mat to my printer:

[uk.rs-online.com]

it's 12V so I connect it directly to the D8 port in the RAMPS board. The problem is that although it should be able to reach 300ºC according to the datasheet, I am only able to heat it up to 50ºC with the printer. I think it might be do to its resistance (20 ohm), since heating cartidges are usually 10-15 ohm, so this mat needs more current. In case my hypothesis is right, is there a way to supply it with more current? I mean with the RAMPS itself, I know I could install an external mosfet.

#define PID_MAX is already set to 255

Thank you smiling smiley

The D8 RAMPS port can output 11 amps at 12 volts, so that's not the problem. The problem is that your mat has a resistance of 20 ohms, so it draws only 12/20=0.6 amps. 0.6Ax12volts=7.2 watts.
About as much as a Christmas tree bulb. 50C sounds about right. It's a silicone mat (apparently) so it should be able to survive exposure to 300C, but it isn't likely to get anywhere near that temperature running on 12 volts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login