Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

step size, bed size for RAMPS + A4988

Posted by anton74 
step size, bed size for RAMPS + A4988
May 30, 2023 10:06AM
Hello,
I am trying to build a CNC machine with a small XYZ stage. The motors are 24V x 0.6A, 1.8 degree/step. The stage uses M6 leadscrew. The motor drivers are A4988. I am using all 3 jumpers for each driver, so I understand that in the case A4988 it is a 1/16 micro-stepping. I defined the bed size in Marlin as 100 X 100 mm. For the control, I am using a Pronterface software. The problem is that with the default 80 step size, the motor cannot reach the endstop switch and the error appears ("echo:Homing Failed Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter halted. kill() called!"). It seems that the motor stops before reaching the endstop switch because the time defined for the homing procedure has ended. Also, I noticed that the travel distance depend on both the bed size and the step size parameters, since when I am increasing either one of the, the travel distance increased. However, I cannot get the correct settings. According to the calculator of the step size (https://blog.prusa3d.com/calculator_3416/), the correct step size should be 3200. However, with this step size, the motor does not move and only produces pitch sound, so I believe this step size is too high. It seems that I am missing something here. What would be optimal settings for my setup?
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2023 10:06AM by anton74.
Re: step size, bed size for RAMPS + A4988
May 30, 2023 11:40AM
3200 should be correct but it is is a lot of steps / mm for a old 8 bit controller.

I would definitely change it to 1/8 micro stepping and set 1600 steps/mm

you will need to reduce the X and Y DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 300, 300, 5, 25 } // X,Y,Z E

See how Z is way slower, because Z is a lead screw (or threaded rod)
May 31, 2023 05:51AM
Dust
3200 should be correct but it is is a lot of steps / mm for a old 8 bit controller.

I would definitely change it to 1/8 micro stepping and set 1600 steps/mm

you will need to reduce the X and Y DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 300, 300, 5, 25 } // X,Y,Z E

See how Z is way slower, because Z is a lead screw (or threaded rod)
Thanks! A stupid question - what dimensions are the BED_SIZE parameter, millimeters or steps?

Another question - the endstop switch for the Z axis is at the top of the axis, near the motor. The home position should be at the lower end of the Z axis. How should I configure the endstop switch? I believe it should be configured as ZMAX switch, but for some reason the Arduino complains when I configure it as ZMAX - it seems that the homing procedure searches for the ZMIN switch. How can I change it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2023 06:04AM by anton74.
VDX
May 31, 2023 06:33AM
... BED_SIZE ist mostly in milimeters, als steps are too "individually".

The searching direction ist too a parameter, which is set by 0/1 somewhere - check the section, where the axes are predefined (different depending on firmware and version/date) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login