Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS locking connectors?

Posted by parny 
RAMPS locking connectors?
July 09, 2011 11:34PM
Good morning!

Just gathering parts to build a Prusa Mendel. I got my RAMPS 1.3 kit from UltiMachine, and I was looking at the parts and thinking: wouldn't it make sense to use locking connectors for the cables? The connectors supplied are friction fit, and there's not all that much friction to hold them in place if something gets yanked. There seems to be space for a slightly larger connector around the extruder and x/y/z stepper motor connectors. I've poked around a bit in the various RepRap blogs and haven't run into much information, and I didn't manage to find anything that looked right at DigiKey. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: RAMPS locking connectors?
July 10, 2011 07:03AM
I use screw connectors on motor and power wires, as they will do damage to the electronics if they come loose.
Many people print a box to keep ramps in, and then there's no risk of yanking out connectors.
If the dibond crimps are a bit loose, you might be able to squeeze them slightly to improve the locking, though I've never had problems with that.
If you want to be even safer, perhaps you could solder the wires directly to the connectors? smiling smiley (After you know they're in the right order of course).

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
July 10, 2011 08:53AM
Unplugging steppers is definitely dangerous, although it's happened to me a few times with no damage.

Printing a box is a good idea, especially if you want to use a fan to keep the drivers nice and cool. It also gives you something to anchor the cables to, using plastic ties.

I have one up on Thingiverse that is easy to print, and keeps everything nice and tidy.
July 12, 2011 11:47PM
I found what I was thinking of --

[octopart.com]

and at Newark I found the matching socket.

[www.newark.com]

I may order a few of these and try them out on my RAMPS board. I'll let y'all know how they work out.
July 13, 2011 05:10AM
The unpolarized connector is actually convenient since it allows you to simply unplug the connecter and plug it in backwards to reverse the direction of the motor. I don't see much need to use locking connectors. Just tuck your wires neatly and secure them to the frame so you don't accidentally pull them off. You need to be be careful when working around your Mendel anyway.
July 13, 2011 05:19AM
During testing it's great to be able to flip the connector, but you probably only do it once and leave it in the correct position. If they use dibond crimps in that housing, it's very simple to pull out and reverse the pins, and then you don't have to worry about them.

But yes, a couple of zip ties and a little care would do the same job.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login