Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I worry about the latest 1.4 or Mega?

Posted by AndrewD 
Should I worry about the latest 1.4 or Mega?
August 09, 2011 12:27PM
I've ordered my plastic parts, steppers, belts and bearings and I've got an order in for stainless Fasteners, rod & studding. I'm now left trying to sort the electronics and bed.

I've seen a few kits on eBay and some are 1.2 and others are 1.3, now there is 1.4! Should I be worried about getting the latest 1.4 or stick with 1.2 or 1.3?

Same applies to the MEGA there is the option of the 1280 or the newer 2560, should I be getting the latest or will it make little difference?

I do want to run 'off line' in the future so SD card looks like a good option....

Andrew

Based in Slough, United Kingdom
Re: Should I worry about the latest 1.4 or Mega?
August 09, 2011 05:58PM
There is no real diff at this point between the RAMPS 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 in terms of basic capabilities. 1.3 and 1.4 add the second e channel for adding another extruder, but currently very little support, if any, exists for that.

1.3 and 1.4 have a separate set of pins for SD printing, but 1.2 can also be made to work.

1.2 and 1.3 are more DIY friendly, as the 1.4 uses surface mount components that are beyond some ppls ability to solder.

Arduino 1280 MEGA is more cross-platform compatible than the 2560 MEGA. The FTDI chip is a long established component, and at least on Linux, there seem to be issues (someone correct this statement if I am wrong).
August 10, 2011 01:39AM
I agree, I am still printing with 1.2 myself although I sell mostly 1.3 smiling smiley It's also much cheaper to buy/build...

reprapworld.com
PLA, ABS, PETG multiple colors (3 and 1.75 mm) €16,49 / kg
Megatronics 3.0 €79.99 / Minitronics €37,19
August 10, 2011 02:24AM
brupje Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, I am still printing with 1.2 myself
> although I sell mostly 1.3 smiling smiley It's also much
> cheaper to buy/build...

It's been your kit I've been looking at on eBay! cool smiley

I'll put an order in direct, what's the waiting time for 1.4?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login