Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermocouple

Posted by robtbldr 
Thermocouple
August 14, 2011 09:28AM
Hi. I want to hook up a thermocouple to my ramps 1.3. I have a ad595 ready to wire up and notice it requires 5v, ground and signal. What would be best way to hook this up? I was thinking of wiring 5v to someplace on the board that has an open spot and the same with ground. Any recommendations? As for signal, I was thinking of using one of the available pins and changing pin config or would the thermistor signal be ok? Thanks for any advice.
Re: Thermocouple
August 14, 2011 07:52PM
Not sure if it helps you but i have a working thermocouple board based ont he maxim chip.

the sprinter firmware allready supports it so it makes it easy to run. I can post the details if you wish
August 15, 2011 08:35AM
If its not too much trouble, please detail how the thermocouple should be setup. Mainly the wiring. Thank you.
August 20, 2011 03:45AM
Hi!

I also have a nice AD595CQ all wired up and ready to be connected. The AD595 delivers an analog voltage proportional to the temperature, no SPI.
I've got a RAMPS 1.2 to connect them.

Checking the code in Tonokip/Sprinter, it seems it expects the AD595 to be connected to the same pins used for the thermistors.

But the thermistor circuit has already a dividing 4.7K resistance and a capacitor soldered in (from my previous use of thermistors). Are those of nature to influence the readings? Recommended practice: keep them? desolder them?

I think those points need to be documented in the wiki. Any hints most welcome!
August 20, 2011 05:37AM
Remove them and consider filtering the power to the AD595 as I did here. [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

I don't have much luck with thermocouples, I prefer thermistors unless the temperature is too high.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 21, 2011 02:15AM
Thank you Nophead, outstanding work on Thermocouples!
Given the need to desolder and the general uncertainties about thermocouples, I think I'm going to keep the two thermistor inputs as they are, and mod the code to use another (free) analogic input pin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login