Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't connect Repsnapper to printer

Posted by naples 
Can't connect Repsnapper to printer
October 03, 2011 05:33PM
Having finally got my first Prusa (and first 3D printer for that matter) finshed I tried to connect the electronics to my PC. I've uploaded firmware and the relevant drivers but cannot figure out why Repsnapper is not connecting. When I click 'Connect to Printer' the green indictor briefly changes to lighter green and the LED in the board flashes but then goes out.
I really have no idea where to start here. I'm not a developer or engineer just someone interested who's finding it pretty hard to piece together all the piecemeal facts so any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Repsnapper v. [not sure]
Ramps 1.3
Arduino MEGA 2560
uploaded Sprinter firmware (changed the configuration.h file so that selected '33' for RAMPS 1.3)
downloaded/installed the Arduinio driver software

Possibly a stupid question and maybe the answer to all of the above but can I run my Prusa just off a USB connection or must I also use a 12v 5A power supply?

Thanks
Re: Can't connect Repsnapper to printer
October 03, 2011 05:35PM
USB won't power your Prusa. It only can power the Arduino board (but not the steppers).
October 03, 2011 05:46PM
Thanks Misan. I thought that was the case but had read one post on another site yesterday that stated you could just use a USB. SImply connecting a power source shouldn't affect whether my computer connects to the printer should it?
October 04, 2011 09:07PM
It should still talk to the board and check the temp - won't be able to heat or move the motors without the other power supply though. Don't do what I did and get a 12v 5a power supply - the 5 amps is a minimum and most people seem to run with more when you look into it.

I replaced with a 10 amp, solved a few problems for me.
October 05, 2011 04:03AM
Thanks evans2481. I think I'll take your advice and replace my power supply with a more power ful one.

As for Repsnapper I'm still getting nothing. I'm going to re-install Repsnapper and make sure I've got the latest Tim Schmidt version as I think I may have the older Kulitorum maintained version. I have no idea whether this will work but it's worth a shot.
October 05, 2011 08:42AM
Hi Naples,

I had a similar problem; I bought an assembled RAMPS card on ebay and on testing the motors never got power
although the firmware uploaded and Ramps led showed activity

I tried several different computers, operating systems and eventually ordered a new pre-assembled card from XYZ printing
and asked them to test it with Sprinter before sending: the new RAMPS card worked straight away from Repsnapper and motors got power

For a Noob like me there are too many variables to get stuck on and this (expensive) test proved the vendor had sent a faulty card
if you get no joy it may be an option

good luck
Simon
October 06, 2011 03:21PM
My electronics are from XYZ (whose service I was very happy with) and pre-assembled. Which version of Repsnapper did you use? I'm still getting nothing here.
October 06, 2011 07:50PM
Try looking at the firmware I was testing my newly bought ramps 1.2 last night. You can get repsnapper to communicate with the arduino without even having the RAMPS board attached.

What I would do is check for the following:

In arduino:
0. remove the ramps board and just connect arduino to the computer.
1. load firmware (sprinter set the number to 33 instead of 3 in the config) *i know you did this already but try again.
2. verify the firmware( play button in arduino)
3. select arduino mega 2560
4. select serial COM#
5. press the upload button (arrow right with line on the right)
6. check to see if the Rx and Tx leds are flashing and wait for it to finish

In repsnapper:
1. check the com # you are connecting to (should be the same as the one you used to upload firmware)
2. check the braudrate it should be 115200
3. press connect
4. check the "interaction" tab you should see M105 being sent a few times and then either timed out if it fails to connect or it connects and you will get false readings without the RAMPS attached.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 07:51PM by ECSuyu.
October 08, 2011 11:21AM
Thanks ECSuyu, I have follwed your instructions but the M105 message gets timed out (the Tx light flashes very briefly a couple of times). Where do you (or anyone else) suggest I go from here?
October 08, 2011 04:35PM
when you upload the firmware the Tx and Rx LEDs should flash for a good 10-15seconds as it write the firmware onto the arduino board, do you get that?
October 09, 2011 09:04AM
Yes when I upload the firmware they both flash for about 10secs so I assume the upload was successful
October 11, 2011 01:37PM
I've sort of solved the problem with my printer.

I've given up on Repsnapper and got the printer working with Prontface. No matter what I did (and I followed the same instructions from several different people) Repsnapper just would not connect.

Everything seems to work fine now...I just have to calibrate it all

A Big Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
October 13, 2011 02:01PM
I have found a way that works almost every time.
1) I have repsnapper running
2) connect with the right settings
3) see the timeouts
4) unplug USB
5) count to 10
6) plug USB back in.
7) count to 10
8) try to reconnect.

I am on vista and it seems to work. If I do it any other way it will fail.

Good luck.
October 13, 2011 02:18PM
Hey.
Maybe I can help.
I had the same problem, after I had driven a total recovery of my PC.

I installed the driver and Rep Snapper again, but I could not get Rep Snapper to connect more than a few seconds. I know that my 3D printer had worked before recovery.

I might have missed something in the setup of Rep Snapper? yes I hate!

Open your firmware in Arduino, here you should look for: # define Baud rate 100000
located under configuration.h
the 100000 is the one that stands in my setup. Be aware that it may be different in your setup.

Then note the number.

Now open Rep Snapper.The number you found in your firmware will be inserted in the box Speed located under ​​Simple. Now you're ready. Sometimes it is necessary to click connect twice.

Be aware that Rep snapper may have problems running normally if Arduino is running.

I've tried to change the number to 105000 in Rep Snapper, it is enough to the problem reappears.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login