Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a machine

Posted by metzindustries 
Building a machine
February 12, 2013 07:25AM
After a lot of false starts, finally building here. Electronics have been ordered and parts are being cut out.

Today I made several y axis designs from thingiverse. Turns out most of the laser designs don't really translate to 2mm ms plate.

I am getting closer to a design with the aim of low parts count and ease of reproduction.

I was thinking I could bend parts on the press brake and it would be all good.

Got sent back to the drawing board by engineer on the build team.

Version 2 of the original design will have very few parts made on the press brake.

At the moment I am looking at a Mendel max 1.5 design with angle bar instead of extruded aluminum.

The top part will be CNC cut and only 4 pieces of angle bar used. I al
Relying on the sheet metal Mendel for the extruder design. I would have used the entire sheet metal Mendel design except that it has belts.

We can make pulleys in house in the lathe. However I really don't have much experience with belt drives.

Will make the trip to egizmo to check out their stock soon. They have not been very helpful on chat or the phone so I ordered my board from dynamodo

Dynamodo does not have the steppers or slides. We are making smooth rods in house, motor couplers in house, and machining down threaded rod couplers to attach the y axis.
Re: Building a machine
February 12, 2013 09:00PM
Sounds interesting . .put up pics when you start your build . .will be checking your progress from time ro time . .awesome . .
February 13, 2013 01:21AM
I will have some pics up in a couple hours. got the frame mostly made. they are welding it and the y axis now. I abandoned the anglebar design and just used 4mm plate. this thing is turning into a monster. the frame is strong enough to mill with.
February 13, 2013 03:49AM

February 13, 2013 05:59AM
Still not happy with the y axis design. It seems to have a lot of friction.

Will be back on the drawing board tomorrow. Thinking I might use plastic rollers on the top and bottom of the smooth rod instead of a plastic linear bearing design.
February 14, 2013 06:49AM
nice po..>grinning smiley<
February 14, 2013 06:55PM
You might want to consider using belts for the x and y axis @ metz, as you need a bit of speeds on their moves . .you can use the threaded rod design but im guessing you will have speed issues when doing non printed moves . .prints will be much slower .

Plus you'd have to compensate for backlash . .

Ive tried threaded rods, but that was for a diy cnc i made . . It was slowwww . .
February 15, 2013 02:19AM
Yes that’s true na try ko narin po yan, sa ebay po maraming ma bibilhan ng belts, saking po nakuha ko lang sa mga lumang printer.
February 18, 2013 05:16AM
One more point to consider on your design is vibration, as the machine will be moving constantly . .mas prone ang all metal printer sa ingay due to low level vibration galing sa mga stepper motors . .

Kung malalagyan mo ng mga balot/dampers ang mga smooth rods sa mounting point mo . . Mas mabuti . .mababawasan kung di mawala lahat ng ingay . .

Yung extruder . . .kung gagamit ka ng metal gears mag create din yun ng ingay . .

Kung makapag design ka ng extruder na belt driven . .its worth to consider to para mabawasan ingay ng machine . .or plastic parts para sa extruder .

Bits and peices of i picked up along the way . . .guess it come to testing the machine before yuo really know . . .
April 02, 2013 06:08AM
Metz kamusta na ang reprap build mo?
April 11, 2013 10:47AM
i went to metz's place this afternoon. the guy is so busy in his shop he cant touch his reprap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login