Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Contacts info for a get together

Posted by vizion 
Re: Contacts info for a get together
May 17, 2012 05:42PM
Pity I didn't find out about the Ledbury bash until today! My parents live about 8 miles away and my dad used to have a shop in the Homend! Small world. I'll subscribe to this thread and hope to meet up with you all on the next meeting. I have a half built ABS Mendel Prusa (would be fully built if it wasn't for thereprapkitstore.com)
May 19, 2012 08:32AM
I Hamish

good smileys with beerto hear from you, i am away in June from the 23rd to 29th, but otherwise any date, time and place would be fine.

I could find a meeting place in south wales (Cwmbran, or Newport) if that helps or happy to travel etc

Let me known

Hope your watch design is progessing

Paul
May 24, 2012 02:00PM
Sounds like the last meet up went well!

Sorry I dropped off the thread back there, I've just finished moving from Plymouth to Exeter, so as I'm sure you can imagine I've been just a little bit busy with other things!

I am now free to go along to events again, although still limited to where I can get via train or lifts, but at least I'm a bit closer up to you folks now!

Stewart.
June 04, 2012 02:32PM
Hello smiling smiley Hamish,

Hope all is well

Just a quick note asking if a date as been set for the nexr meeting.

Can i do anythink to help regrading that meeting

Hope to have my rebuilt machine finished by our next meeting, but will bring it anyway

Paul

Paul
June 06, 2012 07:44AM
Hi Paul and everyone,

Apologies for kicking things along then going quiet myself - I've been keeping busy with lots of (mainly) RepRap and watch design stuff. I've yet to get around to sticking anything on thingiverse, but will do asap.

I heard from Rich the other day and he told me July would be better for him as he's tied up most of June with other commitments. He also mentioned he's trying to find a venue around the Stroud area - which would be good in terms of it being quite central, but I'd also encourage anyone to just post an event date - experience suggests that people will show...

In the spirit of encouraging this 'grab a date' approach - here's a date in JUNE to stick on your calendar:

Sat 23rd JUNE - From 13:00 til late - my place in Ledbury (PM me for details if you don't have the address already) - cake and coffee in the afternoon, pizza and salad in the evening. I'll Supply cake and coffee, we can all pitch in for pizzas.

If anyone else really wants to host something that weekend, I'll happily relinqish the date and turn up at your place instead - just let everyone know by the 18th of June smiling smiley

I'm equally happy to show up with a working* Prusa to any event anyone cares to put on, any evening or weekend except 16/17 June and 21/22 July -the only weekend dates I can definitely NOT do.

---
*My Arcol hotend is doing OK for one-off items, but starts dropping bits when printing multiple items - which I've come to learn is an indication of imminent blockage. I can prolong the blockage forming by printing slower - but that's not what it's all about, is it? So I'm cooking up a hotend design based on the otherwise good Arcol and (I hear) Budaschnozzle by attempting to incorporate a better seal arrangement using (modified) off the shelf 1/8" aircraft grade piping components. That's the plan - if nothing else, a good experiment.

Paul, I wonder if you're interested in helping me with the machining of the parts at your skunkworks? You can PM me to discuss, if you prefer. I'll try to post something asap on Reprap.org as a new project too.

Cheers,
Hamish
June 06, 2012 09:37AM
Hello Hamish,

Thanks for your email, you sound very busy.

I, like Rich would find a July date easier, as I am away on Sat 23 June. 3D printer fun, cake and coffee with a pizzas in the evening sounds to good to miss, any other date would be good for me, I would be extremely dissapointed to miss any meetings

Have you any drawings of the parts you need machining, will help if i cansmiling smiley

Paul
June 06, 2012 11:02AM
Hi Paul,

That's a shame. A few local people with kids are interested, so I'll keep that date for the meantime - even if it means its a low key event - and confirm it ON Mon 18th June. It would be great for someone else to grab a date in July and run with it smiling smiley - I can make any days except 21/22 July.

Perhaps we can get together earlier, (midweek would suit me also, if it suits you likewise) but I'll endeavour to get you some drawings asap. Currently I'm working on schematics/PCB design for the watch. It's quite an exciting stage going from working on a dev + daughter board, to piecing together the various sub-circuits to create a USB bootloader with incircuit Li-Po battery recharge and 'always powered' capability. The MIT LeafLabs 'Maple' project and the Olimexino-328 have provided plenty of inspiration. I look forward to sharing - and receiving feedback - on something useful quite soon.

Hamish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 04:00AM by hairykiwi.
June 06, 2012 11:17AM
Guys,

You might be interested in visiting one of the events taking place at the Cheltenham science festival running all next week (12 to 17 June). I see they have a 3D printing session and are also offer the chance for one person to have something scanned and printed.

Details here:
[www.cheltenhamfestivals.com]

Hamish
June 07, 2012 07:06PM
Hello Hamish

I am happy to run event in Cwmbran or Newport which is about 20min from the bridge or about an hour from you, but it is not a good centre location of other persons. Please advise if you wish me to set a date in July and book a location!

Happy to meet with you at a time to suit us both be happy to meet in Café that we used for the last meeting or anywhere to suit you.
But I think it’s going to be in early July, I have a lot on with my Model Engineering Society, various projects and I am away in the last week June.

Don’t rush the drawing if you are busy, buy I will make the items if I can!
Send them to my email address and I will take a look

When we meet as a group, hopefully with the same group of people I have an idea for a group project! Explain when I see you

Sounds that you are at the major stepping point in the watch design, Good luck with the build

Any way look forward to seeing or talking to you smileys with beer

Paul
auej43@dsl.popex.com
June 08, 2012 04:48AM
Hi Paul,

Re the hotend project, I'll be in touch by email - many thanks for your kind offer.

Before I organised the Ledbury event, I'd been a little hesitant to - thinking it wasn't central enough, and that it would be an inconvenience for most people regarding travel distance. But makers and hackers exist everywhere and those that aren't 'locals' are happy to travel some distance, (look at yourself) so I'd say go for it! The Cardiff HackerSpace appears to be reasonable active, so maybe it's worth putting some feelers out to them - either inviting them to come along to the location you have in mind, or to do something jointly at their place. Whichever location, I'll be there.

As far as I can tell, Wales doens't have a RepRap RUG so if us Sou' Westers can invade the Wallies for a day and seed a RUG on your doorstep - so to speak, that would be a good thing worth doing smiling smiley

In any case, I don't see any reason not to have two or more events separated both in time and geographically in July, even if each of us can't be at all.

I'm more and more convinced that @BigDoug had the right idea back on page one of this thread - try co-ordinating a date and little if anything happens. Make a date and people either come along or they then negotiate a better one to suit the majority.

smileys with beer
June 09, 2012 04:47PM
Hamish / Paul,

Thanks for pushing this along some more. Either of your locations are ok for me. I checked out a venue near me, but turned out it was for min of 50 people. Would have had to pay anyway. Looking forward to another meetup.

Mike
June 10, 2012 06:26AM
Hey,

Looks like you have all been busy plotting, good to see the RUG becoming more active, special thanks to Hamish here,

Ive had a 6 week or so break from my RepRap but only to clear the final parts of my HNC (it doesn't take much to distract me)

However ive handed in my final assignment and ive got the summer to breath life into her again, so if its ok i might pencil in the 23rd of June as my restart date (nothing like seeing the wonders you have all be up to to get me firing on all cylinders again)

Going back to your hot-end Hamish, if its a simple blockage, have you cleared it with acetone or is that not strong enough, ive got some Dichloroethane which will dissolve anything (fingers and toes too) in about 2 or 3 mins with a needle, if the acetone wont do the trick or is it more of a recurring problem.

Always good to see people resolving there issues in a truly RepRap spirit,

Im working towards my MendleMax slowly, keen to avoid the mistakes i made first time, currently about 80% modelled but no parts purchased yet.

Im eyeing up an Arcol 4.0 for that in the first instance, the lack of PTFE is a big draw, ive melted the PTFE one or twice to many times when ive been hot flushing ABS as we do at work.

Looking forward to the 23rd

I will look into my place again but recently things haven't been good there so i cant see it happening soon (sorry)

Rob
June 10, 2012 02:21PM
Cool stuff guys - that's three of us for the 23rd with @Motobarsteward confirming by PM.

Rob, Good to hear you've been busy studying hard! I'm still 'only' printing with PLA (I am in fact very happy with it). I can clear the blockages no problem - but it's nice to know who to call to clean a mess I can't winking smiley - I think it's simply down to the design of the Arcol and vast majority of hotend designs that try (and succeed to varying degrees) to apply sufficient force along the length of the PTFE tube to create an acceptable seal. I'll share the design, but currently too tied up with other stuff to spare the time right now - essentially I want to try clamping the PTFE AT the junction - i.e. removing the compressive load over the entire tube length and applying it locally - using a butt-flange (poss with some small flare/taper for alignment) and at the hotend proper, seal it with a 37deg flared fitting style compressive joint used extensively in aviation and many other industries.

@stewartstarbuck - good to hear from you that you're settling in to Exeter. Have you thought about organising an event down that way? That would certainly obviate the need for you to travel. And I see there's a few keen guys in Devon, so Exeter's not that far to come. But as you say, by train to the 'central area' of the woeRUG is more achieveable - so look forward to meeting up. smiling smiley

Mike, how's your MendelMax coming along? Look forward to seeing you on the 23rd.
smileys with beer
June 11, 2012 05:21AM
Hamish, I am indeed planning on running something my end, just need to get some more tables! (I have a 275sqft workshop for my business, which is ideal for smallish gatherings.) - If those of you in the South West near to Exeter are interested, give me a buzz and I'll organise a date some time.

Because I am still getting things set up down here I'm not going to be able to make the Ledbury meeting, but come next month everything should be running smoothly and I'll be able to take time out to go to events.

Now just to wait on my new J-Heads to arrive... Customs has been holding onto them for what seems like ages.
June 11, 2012 05:50AM
Good stuff Stewart - I'll be up for coming down to Exeter when you're up and running. Sounds like you'll have a great venue.

It's interesting that even with our open source ecology, we still end up paying import duty on something that could legally be reproduced locally. That's another reason for me having a go with my own iteration on an existing hotend design smiling smiley
June 11, 2012 06:57AM
Add me to your list and let me have the date and location

thanks

Paul
June 11, 2012 07:16AM
I Hamish

Thinking of picking a date in Aug and finding a location in Newport or Cwmbran.

We could meet on a Sunday? what do you think about a Sunday meeting or is Saturday better

Sunday means I can easily get a suitable location in Newport only about two mins of the M4 motorway

I am picking Aug so it’s a good few weeks after your club meeting

Any drawing for what you need made! but no rush

Let me know what you and any other member thinks

Paul smileys with beer
June 11, 2012 02:38PM
hairykiwi Wrote:

> Mike, how's your MendelMax coming along? Look
> forward to seeing you on the 23rd.
> smileys with beer

It hasnt moved since I threaded some of the ali extrusions. Thought I'd print my own parts rather than buy in. Meanwhile I've been learning some of the nuances of printing and upgrading the Prusa. Yesterday two snapped 'pixie dust' thermistors...arrggh.

Paul
>Let me know what you and any other member thinks
For me can only make the 2nd half of August, but fine with Sat or Sun.

Mike
June 11, 2012 05:19PM
Rapidfire meet planning,

I like it!

Cant see any date or locations i wouldent be up for trying to attend thus far,

Ledbury, Exeter and Cardiff are all pleasant drives smiling smiley

Rob
June 11, 2012 08:59PM
Good to hear there is plenty of interest in a meet Exeter way!

I won't be able to run anything until next month at the earliest, but here is the address for your records. It's a little walk from the nearest train station, but I'm sure some transport can be arranged to/from there.

Unit 30
Exeter Business Centre
39 Marsh Green Road West
Exeter
EX2 8PN

Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/qpSX

Obviously, it's my business workshop, so I'm well stocked on RepRap supplies, tools, coffee, etc.
June 18, 2012 10:23AM
Still on for the Ledbury RUG on the 23rd June?

Hope so as looking forward to it.
June 18, 2012 12:02PM
Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of replies to various conversations - been busy lately.

As promised - an event confirmation:

Sat 23rd JUNE - From 13:00 til late - my place in Ledbury (PM me for details if you don't have the address already) - cake and coffee in the afternoon, pizza and salad in the evening. I'll Supply cake and coffee, we can all pitch in for pizzas.

Look forward to seeing as many as can make it.

Cheers,
Hamish
June 18, 2012 03:44PM
Hamish,

Great stuff, thanks for organising this. Look forward to being there & meeting the 'gang'.
I can remember the road, but could you PM me the house number ?

Mike
June 18, 2012 06:51PM
Cant wait,

I've already developed a bug that i need a second, third and forth opinition on how to fix sad smiley

Rob
Re: Contacts meeting in August !!
June 19, 2012 11:57AM
Hi Hamish and others

Hope your meeting goes well, I am very sorry that I cannot make this meeting.

Please let me have any news from the meeting

I thought it would be a good idea to setup the next meeting date now, this would allow you to discuss the proposed date at your meeting. Its not fair you doing all the work.

Proposed DATE
SUNDAY 26th AUGUST 2012 at a location about TWO minutes off the M4 motorway in NEWPORT. Which is about 15mins from the seven bridge smileys with beer

Please let me know what people think about that date

Thanks
Paul thumbs up
auej43@dsl.pipex.com
June 19, 2012 12:12PM
You guys have fun!

I'd be able to make that date happily Paul, but I'm also up for running one a bit sooner in Exeter, some time in July, if people are interested in that. My workshop is accessible Mon-Sat, 7:30am-8pm. I'm there every day, and would only need a few days notice to be able to hold something here - I can either let you folks pick a date between yourselves, or I can provide one.

Stewart.
June 19, 2012 12:54PM
26th Aug in my Diary smiling smiley

Thanks Paul

Stewart, Exeter sounds good, but i get the feeling a weekend may be easier as its a little trek down, still up for it though smiling smiley
Date wise the grab a date and see who shows up is the only route that seems to work

At this rate we will be due a Birthday meet on the 7th of sept before we know it, to celebrate the WOE RUG becoming active,

Printer problem solved this afternoon smiling smiley so its alive for Saturday

Rob
June 19, 2012 05:56PM
Paul2d3d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Proposed DATE
> SUNDAY 26th AUGUST 2012 at a location about TWO
> minutes off the M4 motorway in NEWPORT. Which is
> about 15mins from the seven bridge smileys with beer
>
> Please let me know what people think about that
> date

Paul,
I'm fine with that date, no problem.

Stewart,
Bit of a trek for me so might depend whats going on closer to the time, but as Rob says grab a date & see how it goes. Looks like there's a fair bunch of RepRappers down that way, so could be a good meet.

Rob,
Problem gunned down eh, good stuff. Think I read the thread so look forward to hearing about it.

See you on Saturday.

Mike
June 20, 2012 06:42AM
Hi Paul,

Great stuff! Look forward to seeing you in Wales on the 26th Aug. And hopefully before that also to discuss a new hotend design.

So that just leaves July to fill. Any takers?

Hey Rich - and Faberdasher - and you Brum boys, you've gone awful quiet on us! Any news?

All the best,
Hamish
June 20, 2012 08:39AM
Well if it's just a case of throwing down a date, here is one for an Exeter meet:

Saturday 21st July.

As I said above, the workshop is open between 7:30am - 8pm, but I don't expect to see too many of you at the crack of dawn!

Stewart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login