Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Contacts info for a get together

Posted by vizion 
Re: Contacts info for a get together
November 22, 2012 03:04PM
Nothing to worry about Paul, hope your day goes well!
January 22, 2013 04:51AM
Hello all
Thought It would be good to get this thread going again, see what people have been up to,
I’m thinking of trying to organise another meet up at some point, no idea on dates yet, but potentially use the scout hut (being as its free to me)

So what’s everyone been up to since November,

Personally I’m accepting my Prusa is nearing the end in its current form, it’s getting ever more temperamental (never thought I could say that)
I finally started my new machine, it’s quite a radically different beast, but its inching towards its first print,

Photo!

The XY Gantry is in, and slides very nicely, not driven yet, I need design a few brackets to hold all the idlers in place
I’m having a few issues with the table, hopefully I’ve got a fix designed just need to print the replacement parts,
My Prusa isn’t printing well enough to do that, so I’m reduced to printing at work when I can, in good news that means I have support if I need it, although I’m trying to avoid it, but on the down side it can take a few days to slip parts through.

Work also agreed to let me use some of the waste filament, so I’ve currently got 60% of cartridge of support from our stratysys machines, just need a machine to run it through now

That’s me for a bit

Rob

Join us at a regular West of England RepRap User Group event
For details, visit tiny.cc/woereprap or tiny.cc/woerug
January 22, 2013 07:25AM
Hi Rob, smiling smiley good to hear from you.

Looks like your new machine is making progress, what size is your print area

I too have been making some changes to my machine, larger motors and lots of work redesigning the hot end and heat bed.

I found that it took quite a long time for both to reach temperature. I have tried out the 12v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater; they work very well and use less power. And if you fit a double 12v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater into the hot end the heating time is very short.

Have also made a new heated bed using two of the ceramic cartridge heaters, great for larger print beds and heats up much quicker. (Obtain from our friend in Hong Kong reprapdiscount, very fair and fast Del etc.)

A meeting sounds a very good idea; it is good to get a progress update from our group and hopefully a few new members. Please pick a date, any location is fine with me

Talk soon

Paul smileys with beer
January 22, 2013 07:28AM
Hi Rob, good to hear from you.

Looks like your new machine is making progress, what size is your print area

I too have been making some changes to my machine, larger motors and lots of work redesigning the hot end and heat bed.

I found that it took quite a long time for both to reach temperature. I have tried out the 12v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater; they work very well and use less power. And if you fit a double 12v 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater into the hot end the heating time is very short.

Have also made a new heated bed using two of the ceramic cartridge heaters, great for larger print beds and heats up much quicker. (Obtain from our friend in Hong Kong reprapdiscount, very fair and fast Del etc.)

A meeting sounds a very good idea; it is good to get a progress update from our group and hopefully a few new members. Please pick a date, any location is fine with me

Talk soon

Paul
January 22, 2013 07:54AM
Nice to hear from you Rob!

Well done with the new printer design - looks like it's progressing well.

I've been pretty busy with work for the last couple of months.

Project-wise, I'm almost at the point I have something worth releasing / prototyping for my open source watch project. bit.ly/mtmpublic bit.ly/mtmsneakypeek

If you ever need anything printed - I know it's not as convenient as doing it at work - but the offer is always there. My Prusa Mendel is still doing fine. I finally got around to publishing my first piece on Thingiverse - a humble but useful twist-on bar clamp for 8mm rods.

One of the last projects I was distracted with before work took priority, was converting CT scan data of a smashed knee joint (mine eye rolling smiley) to stl format for printing. The single biggest challenge was learning to repair and fill in missing detail using MeshMixer - a free, and very cool free-form mesh editing/creating tool from AutoDesk - they adopted it from the creator, a computer science graduate they recently employed. See meshmixer.com + loads more tutorial videos on youtube.

A meetup at the Scout hut sounds like a good start to the year. Give us some dates and I'll tell you if I can make it.

Happy New Year to you all,
Hamish
January 22, 2013 10:35AM
Hi Rob, Paul & Hamish

nice job Rob, the alloy frame seems to offer a very good stable basis for a printer, does yours have a larger print area than a mendal max?

A meet up (once the snow has cleared) sounds like a great plan! the scout hut or wherever sounds fine.

Not really RepRap related but I'm building a ballscrew cnc lathe for some repeat work and I now have a book on building a pulse EDM machine which would be pretty well suited to being at least part printed - in particular from the electrical isolation point of view!.

Cheers

Nick

Using ABS Prusa Mendel from Indieflow (eMaker website) with Pronterface and slic3r (0.9.2) . Printing with 3mm PLA through home constructed J Head hotend and Wade Herring bone Geared Extruder. Sanguinolulu board running Marlin
mmt
January 23, 2013 04:08PM
Hello all,

Since the last meetup, I finished the Mendel90 I had part built at Pauls meetup, heres a pic
Mendel90
Also doing a refresher on solidworks, keeping busy on other stuff.
Until yesterday M90 worked very well , hot end heater stopped working, no obvious reason, will sort it.

Rob look forward to seeing the new printer when done.
Neat looking clamp Hamish!

Mike

MMT

Mendel90 / Parcan mark 2/ Melzi / Sprinter
January 24, 2013 03:34AM
Hamish the watch is looking pretty amazing, will you be bringing along one to show us at the next meet up? like the bar clamp too, very neat!

Mike the medal 90 looks very rigid bet you are getting some really nice definition prints on that!?

Nick

Using ABS Prusa Mendel from Indieflow (eMaker website) with Pronterface and slic3r (0.9.2) . Printing with 3mm PLA through home constructed J Head hotend and Wade Herring bone Geared Extruder. Sanguinolulu board running Marlin
January 24, 2013 05:35AM
Well done on your Mendel90 Mike! I really like the simplicity of nophead's design.

Nick, sounds like you're doing some interesting stuff. Is it a CNC EDM you're building? Must visit your workshop sometime - if you don't mind. On a related theme, I recently discovered The Concrete Lathe Project - based on the rediscovered designs for WWI lathes - http://blog.makezine.com/2012/04/12/the-concrete-lathe-project/.

Thanks for the feedback smiling smiley I'll certainly bring the watch along. Things are really hotting up on the electronics side - the boys at Energy Micro have been doing some heavy lifting in their LCD firmware library file, so I should have the old graphics up and running on the new LCD in no time while the prototype PCB is made in the next week or so. Here's their latest video showing of Memory LCD at it's best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIIhQq5I2I These displays are or should be available from Avnet Embedded - they'll be great for all sorts of (ultra-low power) projects.

Cheers,
Hamish
January 24, 2013 07:39AM
Hi all,

Good to see everyone has been busy,
Good work Paul I will be looking into that, heat is a hot topic for my new printer,
Hamish I look forward to being able to purchase a watch off you in the near future, it’s great to see another project that is made possible by repraping

I Have to confess I’m most interested Nick, trust business is going well if you’re pushed to building new machines to met demand, and EDM is a great use of your Reprap. I guess technically it will be a new variant of Reprap after all I suspect it will be able to build a proportion of its own parts in the end confused smiley

Glad to see you printer looking so good mike, what’s its like to have a reliable printer, it’s not something I’ve experienced for more than a few days in the last 18 months

Many thanks for the kind words on my progress, it’s been slow and continues to move at my glacial place.
The frame is truly bomb proof, I’m very pleased with that bit.
Not shown is the work done on the Z axis, just doing the final work and it should become the first live axis in a week or 2, with the XY following soon I hope, the XY is mounted and runs beautifully but is missing any drive components to date.
The bed is 450 x 300 but not all of that will be printable, I’m hoping to keep around 400 x 250 with dual extruders mounted., possibly might eek 250mm in Z, Externally the printer is around X 690 x Y 420 x Z 360mm
My intention is to encase the whole printer, this the acrylic sheet next to it, with a cooled electronic enclosure mounted in the base,
Heat is my primary concern at this stage; my initial thoughts were twin HPB in series, but running at 24 – 30V spread through an aluminium tooling plate,
The first big job will be to re print all the parts with the many changes made as I’ve gone, all being well they would be in polycarbonate to survive the enclosure temperatures for extended periods
Much to do and I’ve been paused since last week, hopefully ill get a build in at work tonight

Rob

January 24, 2013 11:28AM
Rob, Hamish,

sounds like we all have alot of interestings news to swop around smiling smiley

I'll bring the EDM book along for general perusal, I also bought a bare PCB to suit from the books author but still need to buy the components to populate it
I'm currently building a cnc lathe - thats all steel linear rails, ballscrews and alloy plate - but plan to do the EDM once time allows - whenever that may be??
Hamish you're welcome to pop round to my works anytime, I'm there pretty much all day. :-)

Anyone have any dates in mind for a meet ?

cheers

Nick

mmt
January 25, 2013 03:31AM
ncibbit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Mike the medal 90 looks very rigid bet you are
> getting some really nice definition prints on
> that!?
>
> Nick

Nick thanks, one of Nopheads original motives in the desigh was improved rigidity over the Prusa.
It has .3mm nozzle so improved definition over the earlier .5.
Be interested to see the EDM book & find out some more.

Mike

MMT
February 05, 2013 06:45AM
Good to hear folks here are still busying themselves! Got a bit quiet over the Christmas period.

I'm still busy slowing growing my business, but it's getting there. I'm currently in the process of updating all my documentation for kit assembly, with a full photographic guide.

If any of you have a bit of spare time I'd really appreciate it if you could have a quick look over it. I'm adding a page at a time, so it's not complete yet, but hopefully will be all there by the end of today. You can find it here: [www.printedworlds.co.uk]

It's also not too long now until MakerFaire UK in Newcastle. I'm pleased to report that I'll be attending with a stand, so if anyone is planning on making the trip up you are welcome to come say hi at my table!
February 05, 2013 08:16AM
Great stuff Stewart - the pictures are really nice and clear.

I really should get along to a Maker Faire. The 2011 Newcastle Maker Faire looked like a really good weekend. If anyone is interested in going this year - Maker Faire UK 2013 is 27 - 28 April.
More info here: makerfaireuk.com.

Nick - Thanks, I'll give you a PM in the next few weeks.

Rob - Any dates yet? smiling bouncing smiley

My watch module design - Open source Time Machine #2 - is now officially OSHW after releasing the KiCad files on github a few days ago: github.com/hairykiwi/OTM-02 I'll be working hard now to get a prototype built by end of Feb.

I also posted a bit about it on Energy Micro's 'Lizard Lounge' forum under community projects: forum.energymicro.com/topic/582-otm-02-open-source-time-machine-2/

- Hamish
mmt
February 05, 2013 02:09PM
stewartstarbuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If any of you have a bit of spare time I'd really
> appreciate it if you could have a quick look over
> it.

ok Stewart have PM'd

Mike

MMT
February 06, 2013 09:50AM
Mike,

Thanks a lot for that! You really did give the site a good going over. Next time I'll have to pay you for such things!

I'll be incorporating your feedback later today.
March 08, 2013 08:50AM
I Rob and other group members

Have you looked at or try the Repetier-Host software for your new machine. I have start to play with the software. It is well designed and easy to use. Any members got a feed back on the Repetier-Host software !

Have we got a date and place for our next meeting !

Any bits that i can help to make using my workshop for your new machine let me know

Paul
March 09, 2013 08:28AM
Hi,

New user in the Calne, Wiltshire area.

I've just got on the list for a Mendel90 and hopefully should have it with me by the end of the month.
Can't wait to get it build as the other half already have lots of things she wants to make for the house. I'm not sure I'll ever get the chance to use it for myself. I'll probably have to go back to something she doesn't like smiling smiley
April 23, 2013 04:50PM
Hi there twisted!

It seems to be rather quiet around these parts at the moment. I'd invite you to show off your printer at my workshop, but I'm down in Exeter, so might be a bit far for you.

In other news (and to hijack this thread a little) I've got a stand at Maker Faire in Newcastle this weekend! (bringing the thread back on topic) so if anyone is heading up we could do a mini meetup there.
April 23, 2013 06:48PM
I will be up at the Makerfair,

Will come and say hi

Time & life isn't letting me do anything, my machine has been collecting dust since christmas sad smiley

Rob

April 23, 2013 07:45PM
Sounds good Rob, but shame about your printer!

I should be easy to find - I've had a large banner made up with my logo on it, so just keep an eye out for that while you walk around.
April 24, 2013 04:33PM
Hi Stewart,

It sure is quiet... Thanks for the offer, but as you guessed a little far for me at the moment. Fingers crossed it picks up a little, I've started to see if there are any hack spaces locally as its the sort of place us geeks/techies may be involved in.

Good luck at Maker Faire in Newcastle

PS. you probably know, but the website link in your signature isn't working.
July 01, 2014 02:06AM
Good Morning all
There seem to be quite a few local RepRappers involved on this topic, if not all that recent.
Hopefully some are still alerted to new posts. So how about a get together at the Bristol Model Engineering and Hobbies Exhibition at Thornbury.
in August.2014
If anyone's interested then please have a look at the topic RepRap presence at Bristol Model Engineering and Hobbies Exhibition
and linked entry to A Great REPRAPday.
Hopefully we can resurrect a local group.
Andrew V
July 01, 2014 06:40AM
Hi,

Im still here, if not active

Sadly im away for the Bristol Model Engineering and Hobbies Exhibition,

However im still open to resurrecting the group in the near future (September when hollidays are over?)

Rob

July 01, 2014 03:13PM
I aim to be at the exhibition anyway (GTBA Stand) so would welcome the chance to get together again/meet up there.
Resurrecting the meet ups would be good too :-)

regards all

Nick

July 01, 2014 06:03PM
I can't make the exhibition but would be happy to join in a meeting later in the year.

- Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login