Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Contacts info for a get together

Posted by vizion 
Re: Contacts info for a get together
September 08, 2011 04:10PM
That was all jolly good fun.

Four people, three repraps - though we didn't get to set up Max's, we'll have to do that some other time.

It's quite inspiring to see other peoples printed parts. It really shows what is possible.

Also, there are benefits which just can't happen online - like seeing Hamish's machine was almost silent compared to my rather noisy machine. I've clearly got some sorting out to do there!

Oh, and my print quality has already improved immeasurably after upping the retraction speeds. I'd foolishly limited it to the maximum speed the extruder could extrude rather than the speed the extruder needed to retract.

So a good tinkering session all round. I think I've probably made a month's worth of progress in an evening.

What I would love to see is a bunch of people organising similar tinkering sessions, spread it around a bit.

A big meetup in the scout hut sounds great too - and would be an excellent way of kicking things off.

In support of this, I'll maintain an "Announce" mailing list for local events.

Drop me a PM if you're organising a get together, and I'll pass on the announcement to everyone on the list.

If you want to know about events, then drop me a PM with your email address and I'll make sure you get all the announcements.

Obviously, post stuff here as well, and keep discussions here, but hopefully we'll make sure nobody misses out because they didn't happen to check this forum.

Cheers,

Doug.
September 08, 2011 05:37PM
Sounds good Rob.

Looking forward to chilli con carne it already smiling smiley

Hamish
September 09, 2011 09:00AM
I'm in for the 8th Oct. Already in my diary.

Steve
September 11, 2011 06:00PM
Apologies, it appears the Cubs have over ridden me

I now have to propose a new date but same arrangements else wise

So How does the 15th sound

Directions: [g.co]

Rob
September 12, 2011 05:12AM
Date changed in the diary. I'm in for the 15th.
September 12, 2011 06:35AM
Will have to catch up on another date - I'm working the 15th.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Hamish
September 12, 2011 09:18AM
15th works for me
September 12, 2011 05:24PM
I should be ok for 15th, looking forward to it.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 09, 2011 04:17PM
OK, been a while since ive posted

Seems like a good time to confirm the arrangements for next Saturday

2pm Here

Easy,

Feel free to invite anyone who might be interested.

Numbers would be handy if i am to honour my promise of some grub

Any questions Drop me a PM

Rob
October 10, 2011 09:34AM
Very close to me, I need to check my availability, but should hopefully be there.
October 10, 2011 10:04AM
Hi there,

We are fairly near by, so would love to drop in.
RichRap suggested we should bring some plastic along...

If anyone wants some material hand delivered to them, then feel free to use this coupon code: RUGSW2011 to get free shipping at checkout *.
This is redeemable at checkout at [www.faberdashery.co.uk] , Make sure you select UK 1st class post before entering the code.
Hope to also bring some new beta material and goodies to hand out.

See you there!
A

* Valid until 14th October. May be withdrawn and subject to availability.

Faberdashery
October 10, 2011 12:18PM
Just noticed this meeting. Since it is just down the road I will try my hardest to attend.
I'm expecting my eMaker huxley delivery in the next couple of weeks, so even though I have no printer I should still make it along, I'm in the area on saturday morning. Would be good to get build tips and see a few assembled printers at least.

Rich.
October 11, 2011 08:46AM
Great to see a supplier supporting us - thanks faberdasher!

What a bugger I can't make it. Oh well, wish you all a great day - and look forward to the next one. Especially for the chilli con carne grinning smiley

Hamish
October 12, 2011 01:52PM
I will take lots of photos Hamish. Hope to see you next time.

Cheers

Rich

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 12, 2011 04:19PM
I hope to be there. Let me know if you need any chillis. I have a range of strengths from "dangerous" to "need a government health warning".hot smiley
Design Scramble
October 13, 2011 07:17AM
I'm not sure if people are up for a challenge?...

Thought it might be nice to do a seasonal Design Scramble ... The Grand Pumpkin Challenge (#FabDS)
We will bring along 5x Pumpkin 'Growing' kits (10m Green, 10m Orange + extras in 3mm or 1.75mm), for 5x teams (1-3 people).
Challenge is to design (and if possible print!) some pumpkin awesome-ness. As WiFi may be limited, make a start now and share/ hack using Thingiverse. Prize is 100m coil (3 / 1.75mm) in Evil Warlock Purple winking smiley
Judging will be fairly ad-hoc and really just for fun.
Would love to see: Spooky / Ultra big with minimal material / Use of interesting software or design / Creative interpretation.

It currently looks like we wont have our new materials for Beta testing... but fingers crossed.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 12:34PM by faberdasher.

Faberdashery
October 13, 2011 07:34AM
Fairly sure my machine isnt up to it just yet but ill fire up NX and see what i can do on the design front,

your right to assume no Wifi,

Sometimes in the correct position its possible to obtain a signal from the pub but its patchy.

Thanks for the offer Max

I thought id steer cleer of another chilie, Bit of varierty,

Given Faberdasher's challenge how does 3 sisters stew sound?

Rob
October 13, 2011 08:00AM
faberdasher are you likely to have a fun pack in by sat?

I'm sick to death of my currant see through green (not fabadashery pla)
Re: Design Scramble
October 13, 2011 08:29AM
faberdasher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure if people are up for a challenge?...

Always!

Rob - Stew sounds like a grand plan, good idea.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 13, 2011 12:02PM
Hi Rob,

We have quite limited stock at the moment, so may only have a few small samples. Best thing is to grab something through the website in honesty, as we wont be selling stuff on the day. What diameter are you after?

Food sounds great- was planning on bringing some fizzy drink too smiling smiley.

Faberdashery
October 13, 2011 04:59PM
No I was going to take advantage of your offer of free postage
Especially as it saved me a trip to the post office

Didn't expect you to be selling on the day reading your previous posts
I'm on 3mm at the min

Rob
October 14, 2011 08:53AM
Thinking about the Faberdashery The Grand Pumpkin Challenge (#FabDS) - Who is up for a monster build, 13 sections of Pumpkin that stick together (if we can print them all in time) - we will need at least 4 machines running. I only have one fully operational but may get close to having another one running on the day.

Or failing that we could cut it into quarters and make it a little smaller.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Hi all,

This is my first post to this group. I have been interested in Reprap for while and have now decided to build a Prusa.

I would like to come along to your meeting tomorrow if that is ok, however I need to be back in Bristol by 3:30. My question is whether your planned start time is still 2pm?

Thanks

Paul
October 14, 2011 10:19AM
More than welcome Paul

Planned start is still 2pm

Rob
I'm game for the design challenge, I'll bring my laptop of software. Stew sounds good to me. Having not been to one of these before I'm not sure I can offer to bring anything, but I'm willing to do some tutorials and demos on any design software I have experience on. I don't suppose there will be a projector? I'll see what I can bring that people can install and try out if they feel the need.
Rich.
October 14, 2011 12:48PM
I can bring a projector if someone else can bring a white wall to point it at...
As far as "offering" anything, I think it's just about learning from each other's mistakes. Share the joy!
October 14, 2011 01:03PM
Walls pre whitened

No transport nessasary

A projector would be a nice addition

Rob
October 17, 2011 05:13AM
Hope you had fun, sorry I couldn't make it (wife is heavily pregnant! winking smiley)

Will probably not be able to make one till the new year, due to commitments.
October 17, 2011 10:05AM
That was a great event, thanks to everyone that came and all the cool stuff we had to talk about and look at.
Lots of thank you's and some pictures -

First a BIG thank you to Rob for hosting the event, providing us all with a great stew (Really Good) and also the RepRap CAKE !!! (See below)
RepRap_cake

Thank you to Cadical (Rich) for a really good overview of loads of 3D software programs, tools and gadgets (I'm pondering a 3D mouse as I type this) and the Kinetic demo's were really cool - 3D scanning next time I think.

Thanks to Faberdashery for providing Drinks and the great pumpkin growing kits!
growing_kits

There were plenty of eMaker Huxley's around the place. Jean-Marc was also there, but I didn't get a picture of him or his eHuxley that was printing very well indeed.

We had some great discussions about 3D printing, materials and plastic's, machine upgrades and future design ideas and generally everything you would want to discuss with like-minded creators.

And so thanks to everyone for making the day great fun.

I can't wait until the next time, I hope lots of you can make the next one, they are a very fine way to spend a day. Good times.

RichRap_pumpkin_lid_off

More Pictures over on my Flickr page - [www.flickr.com] along with all the usual places.

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login